New SLP image not working for both cameras simultaneously

StereoPi hardware discussion
rrace001

New SLP image not working for both cameras simultaneously

Post by rrace001 »

Hello,

I downloaded the new image slp-raspbian-190613 and both cameras will not work at the same time. I also downloaded stereopi-opencv-20190405 and both cameras will not work at the same time. Out of the box the stereopi worked fantastic. I had started the stereopi with only one camera connected and both cameras worked when only the left or right was connected by themselves but just not both of them at the same time. below is the error i get when using raspistill -cs 1 when both cameras are connected. I also included the stereopi.conf settings. Any ideas?

mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: Could not select camera : error 3
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates

stereopi.conf

photo_resolution=
video_width=1280
video_mode=3D
video_height=720
video_fps=30
video_bitrate=3000000
video_profile=baseline
rtmp_url=
rtmp_enabled=0
mpegts_clients=192.168.1.10:3001
mpegts_enabled=0
rtsp_enabled=0
usb_enabled=1
audio_enabled=0
video_wb=auto
exposure=auto
contrast=-15
sharpness=0
digitalgain=0.0
wifi_iface=
wifi_ssid=
wifi_psk=
record_enabled=0
record_time=300
dec_enabled=0
up_down=1
swapcams=0
udp_clients=192.168.1.10:3000
udp_enabled=0
ws_enabled=0

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: New SLP image not working for both cameras simultaneously

Post by Realizator »

Hello rrace001,
Your configuration file is correct.
According to your description, I may suggest that this is issue with one of your cameras.
Please do the following test (it is more comfortable to do it with OpenCV image):
1. Connect one camera in a first camera connector.
2. Test it with "raspistill -cs 0"
3. If test failed, try "raspistill -cs 1"
4. If one of these test is successful, power off the StereoPi, and replace tested camera with the second camera. Run the same test.

So if your second camera dose not detected in under conditions, where 1st camera worked - this is second camera issues. Please check if ribbon is inserted correctly in the camera.

If both cameras are works in one camera connector on your StereoPo, but no one cameras works with the seccond camera connectors - this is second connector issue.

Please let me know your tests results.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

rrace001

Post by rrace001 »

I had tried four configurations. Camera A in connector 1. Camera A in connector 2. Camera B in connector 1. Camera B in connector 2. All configurations worked using raspistill -cs 0. Just cannot get them to work at the same time. The camera closest to the LED indicator on the board works when both are connected but not the one farthest from the led indicator. raspistill -cs 0 works but never raspistill -cs 1.

Is there a way I can get the SLP image that it shipped with to test if it is software? It worked fantastic out of the box.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

You see, looks like it is hardware problem, and we need to replace your board. It's a pity, as all StereoPi passed extended functional tests at the factory, including connecting cameras and checking for picture. :-/

I think original S.L.P. image will not help you with tests. If you want to make a clear tests, you may download stock new Raspbian, and just copy our dt-blob.bin file to /BOOT partition (as mentioned in Wiki).

You may run this command:

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_camera
I think in your case you will se a result like "supported=2 detected=1" if both cameras are connected.
"supported=2" means system understand that it has 2 cameras (that is, dt-blob.bin file implemented successfully)
"detected=1" means that only 1 camera detected.

There are also small chance of some dust or particles in the connector. Try to blow on it nad inspect it visually for any particles, which may broke ribbons connectors.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

I had similar fear the last time I used my stereopi (changed OS too) with mmal errors displayed but I finished to figure out that SLP has already a process which captured the cameras, so the raspistill program cannot contact them.
Probably not the same case here, but it would be worth it to test for a such stupid situation as well.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

rrace001

Post by rrace001 »

Board is OK! I performed the test again and swapped around the cables also. Not sure what happened to my first test or maybe the problem was intermittent but I swapped cables, cameras and connectors twice round and it was a camera. I had a spare and now both cameras are detected and work.

Raspbian had changed to Buster and works great. I assume for the new Pi 4. Hopefully they will follow up with a PI 4 compute module...

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

rrace001, I'm glad it is Ok with your StereoPi board! :-)
As for expected CM4 upgrade, it is interesting for us too. According to RPi 4 specs, it will be difficult for them to save pin-to-pin compatibility of CM4 with CM3 generation, and also keep all new features of Pi4 (like second USB C). Let's just wait to know the true. :-)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator