SP2 HQ Housing Assembly IR Filter Assembly

StereoPi v2 hardware questions
dnaman

SP2 HQ Housing Assembly IR Filter Assembly

Post by dnaman »

Can you be more specific for the type of glue recommended?

"Henkel Pattex" covers a wide range of product from that manufacturer and if you're not familiar with them ....

dnaman

Re: SP2 HQ Housing Assembly IR Filter Assembly

Post by dnaman »

Any response?

I'm referring to the glue needed to install the IR filters in the black carriages.

The assembly notes say:

"Note: please do not use the cyanoacrylate "one-second" glue! Its condensed vapors
can leave traces on the filter. Also, it is too liquid and can stain the filter. The best glue
to use is transparent thick one like Henkel Pattex."

I don't understand whether it's saying not to use cyanoacrylate at all (in which case what alternative to use?) or just not to use the "one-second" type.

I've go everything ready to assemble apart from this.

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

In the absence of any help, I went ahead and used some LePage "Ultra Gel" Super Glue which seems to have worked quite well.

The built-in applicator with this allows you to accurately place a small drop without the use of a toothpick and it worked quite well for me. It may help to use a pair of rounded-tip tweezers (with tape over the tips) to place the filter in position, if you have clumsy fingers.

LePage is, I believe, from the Henkel Pattex stable and may be known by that brand name elsewhere.

amphi

Post by amphi »

my filters look the same and are completely unusable. My guess is because of the plastic bags. where can i get replacement filters?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Dnaman, I’ve answered you by email. As for the glue - looks like I need to collect a few “local” names of glues applicable, since the glue name might differ from country to country.
Amphi, please write me an email to [mynickname]@gmail.com and I’ll send you the IR filter replacement.
Yup, this plastic bag packing do adds unexpected issues for the IR filters.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

Thanks, Realizator, I think if you just mention the (US) glue that you used, people could make their own local match.