SLP max width/height params

S.L.P. image questions, stereoscopic video livestream and recording, stereoscopic photo capture etc.
AlexVega

SLP max width/height params

Post by AlexVega »

Hi!!!

I'm Alex and I'm starting in this world of AI/VR. I purchased few days ago the stereoPi and I've been playing with it ever since.
I'm mostly getting use to the SLP parameters and how to transmit the image through the net.

Today I was playing with the image in an oculus device and I was changing the height and width manually from de stereopi.conf file, and when I put more than the width/height maximum option displayed on the stereopi/local menu, it displays a black image. Is it because is the maximum default for the SLP configuration? I'm kinda lost :|

Thank you all for your time

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: SLP max width/height params

Post by Realizator »

Hi Alex,
Settings in the stereopi.conf file are defaults and used by the system right after the boot. When you are changing them using Admin panel, the last settings are saved to this file. It is better to use the Admin panel for the first experiments.
If you need to do some specific settings, you can change parameters you need in the code directly (for example here: /opt/StereoPi/scripts/video-source.sh)

Could you please tell us, which settings are you trying to put to the stereopi.conf? Maybe we can help you with adjusting them.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

AlexVega

Post by AlexVega »

Hi Realizator!

And sorry for the late reply I didn't see the notification of your replay!

Well, what I was trying was to make each camera display a total of 1920x1920px, so make in total a resolution of 3840x1920. For doing that, what I did was change the stereopi.conf to a width of 3840 and height of 1920 but I was getting in the stereopi.local page was a black image

I didn't try changing the video-source.sh file, but I will try in the next days and see if I can solve the problem

Thank you for your help an time!!! :D

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi ALexVega,
This resolution should be fine for the photo, but not for the video. You see, Raspberry Pi's GPU H264 encoder has a resolution limit (near FullHD). The only way to get a higher resolution is to use MJPEG compression. This is a bit tricky way. Our upcoming SLP upgrade and Quest 2 app will have this MJPEG feature.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

AlexVega

Post by AlexVega »

Hi Realizator,

I didn't know it, thank you!!

I'm going to make another post about it, but I needed that resolution to show the video via an URL with the max resolution as possible to make something like a high definition security camera. I started to do it by myself with the Raspbian OS but I'm finding trouble with the live videostreaming, I will put the post RN!!!

Can't wait for the new SLP and also for the StereoPi v2 already ordered the standard and the slim version!!!

AlexVega

Post by AlexVega »

Hi Realizator!!

I finally have managed to make a surveillance camera and have a decent resolution (as you said, something next to Full HD), even though I didn't yet check the new SLP image...

Now that I came and re-read this topic, I came up with another question, will the GPU of the CM4 (8gB, 32gB flash) be enough for 4K? I'm not sure if this question belongs here, so I also asked in the RPis forum, but to know if you guys have tried with the StereoPiv2!!

Thank you ! :D :D

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi AlexVega,
I guess you've already got an answer on the Raspberry forum :-) You see, CM4 has the same video encoder on VPU as CM3. It means 4K is not available. So we still have a FullHD limit for the H264, and a bigger resolution for the MJPEG (but with lower FPS).
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator