Octoprint and StereoPi

StereoPi hardware discussion
atestani

Octoprint and StereoPi

Post by atestani »

I have a 3D printer and am trying to stream StereoPi video to Octoprint which is the server from my 3D printer. I am having trouble understanding how to set up a streaming server in StereoPi and select it in Octoprint. The Octoprint server as well as StereoPi are WiFi connected to the the access point on my network. I can connect to them thru a browser. I need to figure out which streaming option to use in StereoPi and what URL to set it to so I can set the same URL in Octoprint so it can receive the video stream.

Has anyone done this and/or can provide some advice?

Thanks
Al Testani

stereomaton

Re: Octoprint and StereoPi

Post by stereomaton »

Not done myself. What are the technical specifications of the video stream awaited by octoprint?
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

atestani

Post by atestani »

Thanks for the reply...

I can't answer the question specifically about the technical specifications of the video stream. I am continuing to try to find the information.

It appears that even if I configure the StereoPi as a USB device (https://stereopi.com/blog/stereopi-used-usb-device) that the way OctoPrint (running on a Raspberry Pi - RPi) receives the video stream it isn't possible unless the StereoPi RPi and the Octoprint RPi are one in the same. The OctoPrint RPi is expecting a USB camera to be attached to one of its USB ports.

I believe I have two options:

Cool way: configure the StereoPi to appear as a webcam, e.g. Logitech and connect it to an Octoprint RPi USB port

Hack job way: Have two browser windows open, one with OctoPrint and the other with the StereoPi video stream.

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

I would have inverted the hard/cool qualifiers.
SLP delivered with the stereopi already has a stream that can be played in browsers. The trick is to find a way to supply its address in octoprint. If you want the video independently, you can just open a new tab and enable streaming in the stereo pi web interface
I do not have an instance of octoprint under the hand to check. If there is no way to add it, you probably can patch the code to hardcode the address directly in the video tag of the interface or do a better patch if you want to share the change or modify the address often.
Transforming the stereopi into a USB camera is probably more difficult.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras