Monitor turns off when running "rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/stereo image:=image_rect_color"

StereoPi hardware discussion
HASSAN MEHMOOD

Monitor turns off when running "rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/stereo image:=image_rect_color"

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

when I run "rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/stereo image:=image_rect_color" (step-4)
My Monitor does not respond to that and it turns off automatically. what should I do ?

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Monitor turns off when running "rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/stereo image:=image_rect_color"

Post by Realizator »

Hi HASSAN MEHMOOD,
According to your description I can suggest you're using ROS image from Ubiquiti Robotics.
Looks like your image has a new Raspbian kernel with a stereoscopic support bug.
Please test, if it is your case.
Before running anything, righr after boot, run this command:

Code: Select all

raspistill -3d sbs
If system hangs, it means you have this bug.
There are two ways to fix it:
1. (old method) You need run this command after boot before accessing your camera:

sudo vcdbg set awb_mode 0
After that stereoscopic mode works. You can add this command to autostart (like to the file /etc/rc.local) to avoid manual typing after each reboot.
2. (the very fresh method). As of today (15 of April) Raspberry engineers fixed their firmware, and stereoscopic support works again. You need to run rpi-update:

sudo rpi-update
After that stereoscopic support works too.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Re: Monitor turns off when running "rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/stereo image:=image_rect_color"

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

Thank you for your quick response Sir
I have tried both the methods but those did not solve my issue

Also when I run "raspistill -3d sbs" it displays the image output of one camera but did not hang.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

HASSAN MEHMOOD wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:55 am
Thank you for your quick response Sir
I have tried both the methods but those did not solve my issue

Also when I run "raspistill -3d sbs" it displays the image output of one camera but did not hang.
Ok, so the problem is not in a stereoscopic support, and sits somewhere else. We are not developers of this ROS image, but can try to find a problem.
Which version of the Ubiquiti image are you using? I will try to repeat your experiment.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

I am using the most updated image "2020-02-10-ubiquity-xenial-lxde". Your help is highly valuable in this regard. Thank you

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

Sir can you please tell me which version of ubiquity were you using ?
So that I will install the same version in my Stereo Pi. Thank you

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

According to log in this Github ticket https://github.com/UbiquityRobotics/ras ... /issues/41, I downloaded image on 17 of October, 2018.
Here are all versions available: https://downloads.ubiquityrobotics.com/pi.html
So looks like I used "2018-06-27-ubiquity-xenial-lxde" file.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

Ok, I will download this version of ubiquity and will see what will happen. Thank you Sir

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

I have checked all the versions of ubiquity robotics from 2018 till now but it is giving a rainbow colored screen only when I turn it on. I have checked these images on my raspberry pi 3B, Raspberry Pi did not give any error or any rainbow screen but my stereo pi is giving rainbow colored screen every time I turn it on. I have checked the input power as well, it is not the power issue.
I have also write boot_delay=1 in config.txt in boot folder but it also did not solve the issue for me.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

I just flashed this image 2020-02-10-ubiquity-xenial-lxde to microsd. Than I put our dt-blob.bin to PI_BOOT partition.
StereoPi boots, and "raspistill -3d sbs" test works.
I see rainbow screen at the start, it disappears in a several seconds, and boot process goes Ok.
I also tested it with CM3+ Lite and CM3 Lite.

You mentioned "when I run "rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/stereo image:=image_rect_color" (step-4)". It means that your StereoPi has booted before, and now it's not. How did you booted it before?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

I flash the same version of ubiquity then put dt-blob.bin in boot folder.
StereoPi boots, and runs normally when I run raspistill -3d sbs it shows the image of only first camera,

Then I follow the commands in README file,
when I run "rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/stereo image:=image_rect_color" I just saw two image viewer window and one for RGB I think (it was for 1 second approximately) then my monitors turned off and did not show the display untill I forcefully switch off my Stereo Pi, remove the mouse, keyboard and LAN wire and then turn it on again, Stereo Pi boots again.

I thought it was a power issue since the red LED of my camera was glowing with less brightness as compared to that when I connect it with my RaspberryPi 3B(it glow much brighter).

But this was the same power adapter I used with my Raspberry Pi and it worked well.
I am trying continuously.
Today I have flashed all the versions of ubiquity on my SD card. Only latest version works, other were displaying only a rainbow screen.

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

Sir I want to ask that do I need to install OpenCV too in my ubiquity image ?

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

when I use "narrow_stereo" instead of "stereo" I get this:

ubuntu@ubiquityrobot:~$ rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/narrow_stereo image:=image_rect_color
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
[ INFO] [1455208207.013037961]: Subscribing to:
* /narrow_stereo/left/image_rect_color
* /narrow_stereo/right/image_rect_color
* /narrow_stereo/disparity
[ WARN] [1455208222.314438592]: [stereo_view] Low number of synchronized left/right/disparity triplets received.
Left images received: 0 (topic '/narrow_stereo/left/image_rect_color')
Right images received: 0 (topic '/narrow_stereo/right/image_rect_color')
Disparity images received: 0 (topic '/narrow_stereo/disparity')
Synchronized triplets: 0
Possible issues:
* stereo_image_proc is not running.
Does `rosnode info /stereo_view_1455208205842149749` show any connections?
* The cameras are not synchronized.
Try restarting stereo_view with parameter _approximate_sync:=True
* The network is too slow. One or more images are dropped from each triplet.
Try restarting stereo_view, increasing parameter 'queue_size' (currently 5)

Sir what should I do now ?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Sorry, this is a very ROS-specific question, and it is better to ask on ROS forum.
As I understand from error messages, there are small amount of frames receiver (or even no frames). Also I didn't play with the 'narrow_stereo' mode. Why do you need it? Are you following some ROS tutorials? If yes - please share your tutorial link, I will try to look how it works.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

HASSAN MEHMOOD

Post by HASSAN MEHMOOD »

Alhamdulillah, I want to Thank you Sir since the issue has been resolved. It was due to my less power rating Adapter due to which my monitor turned off every time I enable the camera at the same time.
Thank you so much Sir for your time and help.

For narrow Stereo Imaging I am using this tutorial http://wiki.ros.org/image_pipeline/Tutorials.