StereoPi hardware discussion
zoldaten

Re: StereoPi Not Booting

Post by zoldaten »

Realizator wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:55 am
zoldaten wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am

Знаю об этой особенности raspberry. Шнур сразу включен в порт. И какое-то время он выдавал видео. Теперь просто черный экран, при этом нет сообщения "нет сигнала" (для ситуации, когда шнур вообще не подключен). Наверно порт убило статикой.
Там стоит защита от статики, но все сценарии конечно не предусмотреть. А с контактами hdmi коннектора всё в порядке? Один юзер сообщал, что у него коннектор отошёл.
Вообщем, просто все решилось. Перестал работать usb-port и решил, что все, запорол модуль. Потом вытащил-вставил compute module и все поехало. Но питание на соплях через проводочки конечно тревожит. Чуть задел и все - reboot. Жаль нет usb порта, как на raspberry (чтобы еще и периферия работала). И видел, что питать можно и через microusb, но тогда порты и lan не работают. И видел, что можно запитать через 5V и Gnd. Но там тоже порты в этом случае не работают.
Вообщем, не хватает нормального разъема питания и встроенного wifi. Все остальное отлично!

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

zoldaten wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:05 pm
Realizator wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:55 am
zoldaten wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am

Знаю об этой особенности raspberry. Шнур сразу включен в порт. И какое-то время он выдавал видео. Теперь просто черный экран, при этом нет сообщения "нет сигнала" (для ситуации, когда шнур вообще не подключен). Наверно порт убило статикой.
Там стоит защита от статики, но все сценарии конечно не предусмотреть. А с контактами hdmi коннектора всё в порядке? Один юзер сообщал, что у него коннектор отошёл.
Вообщем, просто все решилось. Перестал работать usb-port и решил, что все, запорол модуль. Потом вытащил-вставил compute module и все поехало. Но питание на соплях через проводочки конечно тревожит. Чуть задел и все - reboot. Жаль нет usb порта, как на raspberry (чтобы еще и периферия работала). И видел, что питать можно и через microusb, но тогда порты и lan не работают. И видел, что можно запитать через 5V и Gnd. Но там тоже порты в этом случае не работают.
Вообщем, не хватает нормального разъема питания и встроенного wifi. Все остальное отлично!
Странно, питание через белый коннектор - самая надежная штука что у нас была, мы его с 2012 года используем (еще с прошлой платы virt2real).
Про 5V и GND должно работать вместе с периферией.
А можно подробнее (картинку например) вашей связки с подключенным питанием? Про "чуть задел и reboot" волнует вопрос.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

asaeed

Post by asaeed »

I purchased the stereopi starter kit,
I changed the cameras to the v2 camera, so all equipment, the microsd card, compute board etc was supplied by StereoPi.
I connected it together by following the following youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVbzQPWRBs&t=310s

When i connect my hdmi cable, I get a blank screen.
I know the monitor is connected, because my monitor no longer says "no signal" but nothing happens, the screen remains blank
I have no idea where to go from here.

Can you please provide me with some advice on how to debug the problem

Thanks

asaeed

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hello Asaeed,
All StereoPi passed functional tests at the factory. It means that your StereoPi has been tested with inserted Compute Module, micro SD card, USB device and Ethernet cable. So I hope in your case it is assembly issue, and it is everything Ok with your hardware. Let's check it together.

For the debug I'd recommend you to disconnect both cameras and all other equipment (like WiFi, mouse/keyboard etc). Insert Compute Module and micro SD card only.

Most frequent problems with the first start:
1. Please ensure you're using USB power cable provided with the kit (but not micro USB). You can use micro USB if you are advanced user and know all hidden features of this powering method.
2. Please check your power adapter is able to provide 2A current at 5V.
3. MicroSD slot in the StereoPi is "clickable". Please check your card is "clicked inside".

Some key indicators for you:
1. If you see red LEDs after turning on power - power is detected. If you can not see no any LED light - please check power source and power cable connection.

2. If the 3rd LED is blinking, it means StereoPi is booting. If it is not blinking - system can not boot. As a rule, there are three main reasons:
- Your micro SD is not inserted correctly, and system can not find it to boot
- You have Compute Module "non-Lite" edition. It is very seldom situation, but sometimes our suppliers occasionally put RPi Compute Module with internal eMMC memory instead of "Lite" version. The easiest way to check it is to look at the "bottom" side of your Compute Module. This side is opposite to the side with a metal-headed chip. If you see only 1 big chip, and a soldering points for the second - this is Lite version. If you see 2 big chips - this is non-Lite version of Compute Module.
- You're power up your StereoPi over micro USB, and "boot mode" jumper is installed. In this case StereoPi goes to eMMC firmware upload mode.

3. If the third LED is blinking, but there is nothing on your HDMI monitor, please check that HDMI cable is fully inserted in both StereoPi HDMI connector and in your monitor.

Please try to check these points and share your results here.

UPD> Also please connect HDMI to the StereoPi before powering up. Raspbian tries to detect HDMI at the very beginning of the boot process, and if HDMI monitor is not detected - it disable image display on it.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

formosana

Post by formosana »

Rather than starting a new thread with specifics to my case I'll go on here.
My StereoPi (brand new, first attempt at using it) is set as follows:
- CM3+ lite
- all connected (HDMI, 2 NoIR camera v2.1),
- power is from a bench power supply set at 5.1V (measured at the StereoPi connector)
- SLP imaged on a 32GB

Upon power on, either one of the following LED pattern is observed:
1) all 3 LED on then 1 second later, the boot LED turn off and remains off - nothing on the HDMI screen, current draw is 170mA
or
2) all 3 LED on then 1 second later, the boot LED flashes with the following pattern: 3 brief flashes and one long (~3s) - nothing on the HDMI screen, current draw is 190mA

With no SD card, all 3 LED are always on, no flashing, current draw is 140mA

I couldn't find in Eugene's advices anything I hadn't tried.
I have also tried to boot from a buster image, to no avail either.
I have also made sure the compute module is fine, by booting it from the CM3 I/O interface board: all goes well there.

What can be wrong, what else can I try?

Ludo

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Formosana,
According to your current draw measurements, system is not trying to boot. It should consume 700mA-1.1A while boot.
Checklist for you:
1. Please disconnect all equipment, except Compute Module, micro SD and HDMI cable. Sometimes wrong connected camera ribbon cables (not at 90 degree) do a short circuit on camera connectors, and CM3 won't boot.
2. Please check, if you have a Lite module. There were some kitting issues, when users get CM3+ 8Gb eMMC instead of CM3+ Lite
3. Check the power cable. Several users did a power cable manually from cheap USB cables, and voltage under load drops to 4V or lower while boot. This leads to a range of a bad behavior (like reboots, not booting state, ext4 reading error messages etc.)
4. Please check you did not installed a boot jumper on the StereoPi.
5. Please check, if micro SD is Ok. If system boots, when you insert it to CM3 I/O interface board (you mentioned you have one)?

As an alternative, try to boot a system with power over micro USB connector.

As for LEDs. Two LEDs, which lights up all the time, indicates two voltages needed for feeding up CM3. So they should be on all the time. 3rd LED indicates micro SD /eMMC activity (like on a regular Raspberry Pi). Your case 2) means that system try to access a card, but something goes wrong. Try to "click off - click on" the card in the micro SD connector.

Please share your results here.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

delgoodie

Post by delgoodie »

Realizator wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 am
@Lashchev, I'we wrote you personal email for quicker solution of this problem. Please answer. :)
What is the solution?
I have a stereoPi with a lite compute module. I tested that the sd card was good by inserting it into a regular Pi with raspbian and it worked perfectly. I also tested my power supply with the other pi and everything was okay. When I turn on the switch to the stereoPi, the three red lights come on but nothing else happens. I get no hdmi, the ethernet port doesnt light up, and the board doesn't feel hot. I haven't used my stereoPi in a couple months, could the compute module or the stereoPi board have gone bad?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

delgoodie, can you please do the test without any equipment attached? Just a StereoPi, CM3, micro SD and HDMI monitor?
Did you try to remove-insert CM3?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator