Ethernet failure?

StereoPi hardware discussion
wpns

Ethernet failure?

Post by wpns »

My StereoPi was working one day and not the next, now all I get for an IP address is an autoconfigure (169.254...).

I've tried reseating the CM, burning a new SD card, different Ethernet cables, different switch ports, still the same result (no network).

Are there any diags I can run, or do I need to try another StereoPi board? I've had this happen with Pi boards before, and have ended up discarding them, but the StereoPi is a tad more expensive, and I still don't know if it's a StereoPi or a CM issue...

Thanks for any hints on getting this running again, this is goign to be awesome once I get it working!

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Ethernet failure?

Post by Realizator »

wpns wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:36 am
My StereoPi was working one day and not the next, now all I get for an IP address is an autoconfigure (169.254...).

I've tried reseating the CM, burning a new SD card, different Ethernet cables, different switch ports, still the same result (no network).

Are there any diags I can run, or do I need to try another StereoPi board? I've had this happen with Pi boards before, and have ended up discarding them, but the StereoPi is a tad more expensive, and I still don't know if it's a StereoPi or a CM issue...

Thanks for any hints on getting this running again, this is goign to be awesome once I get it working!
Hi wpns,
Are you working with RJ45 Ethernet cable or with WiFi module?
If RJ45, try to do a quick test. Insert our SLP image microSD card, as Ethernet is preconfigured as DHCP. After connecting it to the router, try to run our Android application (check the phone is in the same network). Application will autodiscover StereoPi IP address, and you will see this IP address if you tap the screen once.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

Woo. Strange story.

How do you determine the IP it get?
Could you draw a sketch of your network installation?

If you had to change your hardware several times, there might be something you do not understand or something in your installation that interfer.

With such problems, I would start to try to communicate with the board. With SLP, you can set wifi config in the FAT partition, plug a WiFi dongle (if compatible, most are) and boot, so that it will try to connect to another network (eg the one created with a smartphone) That way you can connect with ssh (from a PC connected to the same network) and check the logs, especially the ones for the DHCP client.

If you have access to the logs of the DHCP server on your network, it will be interesting too, but it is not accessible on a lot of installations.

By default I would more likely suspect a software error than a hardware fault, at least not at electronic level.

Resetting switches and routers can help sometimes. You can also check the wiring part by connecting another device on the cable.

If you have access to a console on the board, you can try to set IP manually to check if it is only an attribution issue. The link status in the kernel can be an indication too.

Here are the first thoughts I have this evening, but it is hard to reason without knowing your setup.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

wpns

Post by wpns »

I bought a new StereoPi board from PiSupply.us and it works fine, so definitely a hardware failure in the original one. Since I got the original one from CrowdSupply, is there any warranty recourse available?

>How do you determine the IP it get?
'ip a' from a terminal window.
[My DHCP server was not showing any IPs for that MAC address or name]

It's not that I _had_ to change the hardware, it's that I wanted to eliminate:
Power supply
Ethernet cables
router
switch ports
SD card (new card with fresh software install)
and when none of those made any difference, that left:
StereoPi board
CM3

Fortunately(?) it was the former. It's working again, so that's good....

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

I don't get how you can have a terminal to type the command if the board has no network access. Anyway, even if I am very surprised and puzzled, glad you solved your problem.
As a simple user, I cannot answer the warranty part.
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team

wpns

Post by wpns »

I connected a mouse, keyboard, and monitor, and used the desktop GUI to open a terminal window.

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

Thanks. As I work mostly with headless systems, I did not think at all about this way that might be obvious for others.

It sounds strange that the hardware used to work and broke. Maybe a weak soldering on the connector that was damaged with manipulation (connectors and their connections are often weak points). If it is that, you can simply heat the pads under the Ethernet port (with soldering iron preferably) until the soldering metal become liquid and remove heat, for each pad, which would resurrect your board in case the hypothesis is true.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

wpns wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 pm
Fortunately(?) it was the former. It's working again, so that's good....
Wpns, did you mean that your ex-not-working StereoPi is working again? Or you're talking about new board received from the PiShop.us?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

wpns

Post by wpns »

The new StereoPi board from PiShop.us works fine, the original one still has no Ethernet.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

wpns wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:55 pm
The new StereoPi board from PiShop.us works fine, the original one still has no Ethernet.
Ok. I’ve sent you direct email (to the address you used for registration on this forum) with replacement procedure details.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

aaa

Post by aaa »

The same problem, I connected the board to the router, nothing happens.
Подключаю плату к роутеру, не получает никакой IP адрес. Питание 5V 2A через коннектор.
Пытался использовать свой образ, Ваш - ничего не поменялось.
Проверить с помощью WiFi адаптера не могу, его нет.
Проверить, есть ли изображение с HDMI кабеля пока тоже нет возможности.

Образы, что мой, что Ваш работают на обычной raspberry, все запускается.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

aaa wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:00 pm
The same problem, I connected the board to the router, nothing happens.
Подключаю плату к роутеру, не получает никакой IP адрес. Питание 5V 2A через коннектор.
Пытался использовать свой образ, Ваш - ничего не поменялось.
Проверить с помощью WiFi адаптера не могу, его нет.
Проверить, есть ли изображение с HDMI кабеля пока тоже нет возможности.

Образы, что мой, что Ваш работают на обычной raspberry, все запускается.
I've wrote you an email to the address you used for registering on this forum. Please answer.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator