StereoPi Slim Edition USB Issues

StereoPi hardware discussion
DaveDischord

StereoPi Slim Edition USB Issues

Post by DaveDischord »

I get an error on boot:
usb usb1-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the usb cable is bad?

This is on both the bare pins and each port of the dual USB, using a variety of mice, keyboards, and with/out powered hubs.

I don't get the error with nothing on USB and also at random times, but whatever is plugged in doesn't work in any case.

I've also tried waiting until boot up is complete before plugging anything in, but still no function.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: StereoPi Slim Edition USB Issues

Post by Realizator »

Hi,
Could you please confirm, that you use white power connector (but not micro USB) to power it up?..
USB and Lan are disabled in this case. Here is info in our Wiki.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

DaveDischord

Post by DaveDischord »

I used the white connector. Tried with 5v 15A and 5v 4A

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Ok, looks like problem is deeper.
Some more questions:
1. Which Linux you're trying to use? Is this Raspbian or other distro?
2. Could you please send me a photo of your setup?
3. Are you soldered classic USB A connectors, or use direct wire soldering to StereoPi Slim? If direct soldering - did you try to chande D+ and D-?

If it is more comfortable for you, you may write direct email to me. Address is [my-nickname-on-this-forum]@gmail.com
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

kvic

Post by kvic »

I have similar issue with StereoPi Slim: I soldered a single USB A female connector in order to remain slim. I have an RTL8188CUS chip based LB-Link Wifi adapter that should be Raspbian compatible according to this link: https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters . I use SLP v0.2.3 and set the SSID of my home network and the password, still I cannot see the StereoPi with IP scanner, stereopi.local link does not work either. I wonder if soldering a single USB connector should work (the one which is closer to the edge) or only a double USB connector works? I don't know much about Raspbian and how it enumerates devices, which is the first USB, with the connector nearer to the edge or the other one? What if the one I soldered is the second one and Raspbian does not use it unless the other connector is used also?...
Power source is a single cell LiPo battery with PiJuice Zero or DFRobot UPS hat (tried both).
Do you have some tips what should I try?
Attachments
20210515_234957.jpg
20210515_234957.jpg (959.13 KiB) Viewed 14801 times
20210515_234910.jpg
20210515_234910.jpg (861.37 KiB) Viewed 14801 times

kvic

Post by kvic »

Update: the wifi dongle works if I connect it to the USB port pin header, but it would be nice to make it work via the soldered USB connector...

kvic

Post by kvic »

Sorry, it is solved: it was a soldering issue. I have just resoldered the USB port and now it's working!

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Kvic,
I planned to write the troubleshooting guide, but your issue is already solved :-)
Yep, all our 3 USB outputs at the PCB are simple connection points. So you can either connect the wires to them, or use USB connector for this. In comparison with Ethernet RJ45 connector (which are having very specific internal inductance schematic, and you have to choose compatible one), USB A connectors are trivial. No logic, no issues.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

kvic

Post by kvic »

Hi Realizator,

I'm afraid I need your guide... After resoldering, the USB wifi dongle worked well, I installed the software needed for a Waveshare 1.3" TFT HAT (looks the same as you tried, just 1.3" 240x240px with joy + 3 buttons). Now I cannot SSH to the Stereopi, Angry IP scanner does not show it. The LED on the LB-Link wifi dongle is lit (before resoldering it was dark), so I think that the dongle should work. During boot I can see some failed messages, however I cannot see the connection between them and the wifi (sorry for the blurred image, it is a screenshot of a video made by my phone).
Screenshot_20210531-235202_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210531-235202_Gallery.jpg (922.81 KiB) Viewed 14541 times
Could you please help?

Best regards,
kvic

kvic

Post by kvic »

By the way, the only thing for which I would need to SSH to the Stereopi is to configure the GPIO button of the joy to make photo. In the conf file I could not see this, only video start/stop GPIO can be set (and this works fine), or am I wrong? Can it also be set somehow without the admin screen?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Which OS are you using? If it's SLP, is this v1 or v2?
As the basic troubleshooting, you can try to install the fresh stock Raspbian, screen drivers, and your dongle drivers and check, if it works on the regular Pi. After that just insert this card to the StereoPi. If USB WiFi works, it means that everything is Ok with your dongle and soldering, and we'll dig the software settings. If not - it means we might have some hardware questions.

Your error messages say the system can't run rfkill - it's a part of WiFi initialization process. This can be both software and hardware issue.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

kvic

Post by kvic »

It is SLP 2, StereoPi 1, again my fault, still the USB connector, but now I managed to fix it for good I hope... Now I can connect to the StereoPi via Wifi, however I can make videos on the webUI and also by pressing button, I can watch it also, but I cannot make photos. No matter if I press the configured button on my display HAT or press the photo button on the WebUI. There is a text on the bottom of the WebUI: failed. I cannot figure out why is it failing when video works well. Do you have some idea what should I try? MicroSD card is selected, but it's the same if I configure "Auto".