StereoPi Not Booting

StereoPi hardware discussion
rlhelinski

StereoPi Not Booting

Post by rlhelinski »

My board does not seem to be booting. I have a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ connected (I have no other way of testing this module, but it is brand new). I have two Raspberry Pi Camera v2.1 modules connected. I am providing 5.0VDC at up to 4.0A. The board is drawing between 0.123A and 0.129A steadily, depending on what is connected. The only sign of activity I have is the three red LEDs are coming on labeled 1.8V, 3.3V and another one by USB SLAVE. I do not have the USB SLAVE jumper shorted.

I have tried two different MicroSD cards: one with the SLP image, and another with Raspian that works in a Raspberry Pi. I tried two different monitors. I have tried without the camera modules connected. I have tried without any USB devices connected. I have tried removing and replacing the compute module many times. If I connect an Ethernet cable, I get no lights on the jack. I have waited several minutes each time to see if an image does eventually show up on the screen, but each time, just 3 red lights.

I don't know what else to try. Please help!
Last edited by rlhelinski on Mon May 27, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: StereoPi Not Booting

Post by Realizator »

rlhelinski wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:58 pm
My board does not seem to be booting. I have a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ connect (I have no other way of testing this module, but it is brand new).
Looks like you are using not "Lite" edition of CM3+, but eMMC equipped. Can you clarify this please?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

rlhelinski

Post by rlhelinski »

Yes, that is correct. This is not the CM3L. See attached picture. Is the eMMC-equipped module compatible?
Attachments
IMG_20190527_103847843.jpg
IMG_20190527_103847843.jpg (445.54 KiB) Viewed 15345 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Yes, of course. You can upload Linux image to eMMC.
To say briefly, you can use either micro SD, or eMMC (like in reference RPi devboard), as they uses the same SDIO lines.
You can read details here in our Wiki.
One notice for you. If you'll upload our S.L.P. image to eMMC, Linux partition will take 2 Gb of the eMMC size. All other space will be formatted to FAT32 for saving photo and video.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

rlhelinski

Post by rlhelinski »

OK, that is good news. Assuming I had bootable images on both eMMC and MicroSD, how would I select between them? Just the presence of the MicroSD?

Thanks for the link to the instructions. I had not seen this information. We should add a link to it on this page https://wiki.stereopi.com/index.php?tit ... e_StereoPi

I am stuck on those instructions at the `rpiboot.exe` step because I am running Ubuntu 18 and not Windows. Is there a similar solution for GNU+Linux? Do these instructions apply? https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... lashing.md

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

rlhelinski wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:33 pm
OK, that is good news. Assuming I had bootable images on both eMMC and MicroSD, how would I select between them? Just the presence of the MicroSD?
Either micro SD, or eMMC. If you try to use them both, they will conflict.
rlhelinski wrote:
Thanks for the link to the instructions. I had not seen this information. We should add a link to it on this page https://wiki.stereopi.com/index.php?tit ... e_StereoPi
Yes, thank you. I definitely need to add this link there.
rlhelinski wrote:
I am stuck on those instructions at the `rpiboot.exe` step because I am running Ubuntu 18 and not Windows. Is there a similar solution for GNU+Linux? Do these instructions apply? https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... lashing.md
Yes, you can use these instructions for Linux from official Pi guide youre mentioned.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

rlhelinski

Post by rlhelinski »

Excellent! I followed the instructions for compiling 'usbboot', writing the image with 'dd' and remounting the RPi partitions. I then edited the 'stereopi.conf' file and changed "video_mode=2D" to "video_mode=3D", then unmounted the device and removed the USB Slave jumper. After reconnecting everything again, everything seemed to work like a charm! Thank you, Realizator!

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Great! :D
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

rlhelinski, I've added eMMC notice in "Basics" in our wiki, and also a comment for Linux users in "Uploading eMMC" section (point 5 in this text). If you have any suggestions or fixes for that articles - please let me know, and I will fix our guides.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

rlhelinski

Post by rlhelinski »

These changes look good to me. Thank you.

lashchev

Post by lashchev »

rlhelinski wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:58 pm
My board does not seem to be booting. I have a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+ connected (I have no other way of testing this module, but it is brand new). I have two Raspberry Pi Camera v2.1 modules connected. I am providing 5.0VDC at up to 4.0A. The board is drawing between 0.123A and 0.129A steadily, depending on what is connected. The only sign of activity I have is the three red LEDs are coming on labeled 1.8V, 3.3V and another one by USB SLAVE. I do not have the USB SLAVE jumper shorted.

I have tried two different MicroSD cards: one with the SLP image, and another with Raspian that works in a Raspberry Pi. I tried two different monitors. I have tried without the camera modules connected. I have tried without any USB devices connected. I have tried removing and replacing the compute module many times. If I connect an Ethernet cable, I get no lights on the jack. I have waited several minutes each time to see if an image does eventually show up on the screen, but each time, just 3 red lights.

I don't know what else to try. Please help!
I have the similar problem. All settings and Stereo Pi respondings are the same but I use a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 lite.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Lashchev,
Please try to do first steps:
1. If you have any classic raspberry Pi, insert your micro SD card and test, that system start boot.
2. Disconnect all equipment from the StereoPi (monitor, RJ45 cable, USB dongles etc.). Just keep power, your CM3+ Lite, micro SD and HDMI.
3. Try to power on.

If boots starts, and red LED near camera connector blinks - it means that system boots.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

lashchev

Post by lashchev »

Realizator wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:20 am
Hi Lashchev,
Please try to do first steps:
1. If you have any classic raspberry Pi, insert your micro SD card and test, that system start boot.
2. Disconnect all equipment from the StereoPi (monitor, RJ45 cable, USB dongles etc.). Just keep power, your CM3+ Lite, micro SD and HDMI.
3. Try to power on.

If boots starts, and red LED near camera connector blinks - it means that system boots.
I did all of these steps. Nothing is changed. Just black screen on a monitor
appears and Red LED near USB Slave is on when Stereo pi is powered on.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

@Lashchev, I'we wrote you personal email for quicker solution of this problem. Please answer. :)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

zoldaten

Post by zoldaten »

У меня та же проблема с Compute Module 3+ . И это похоже на то, что сгорел HDMI порт.
Если использовать SLP image, то программа с Compute Module 3+ в браузере работает как и сами камеры. Raspbian c OpenCV тоже
вроде как грузится, только там вход по ssh по умолчанию отключен как и VNC.
Как его вслепую настроить, чтобы зайти на raspberry без HDMI ? И можно ли зайти по uart на raspberry ?

zoldaten

Post by zoldaten »

If your HDMI port seems not working (black screen through HDMI) and you want to use Raspbian with OpenCV.
You have to make blind ssh install to enter the raspberry.
After burn the Raspbian image, connect usb-keyboard, ethernet cable to stereopi and boot.
Then press keys on usb-keyboard blind:
CTRL+ALT+t
sudo raspi-config +ENTER
down key 4 time + ENTER
down key + ENTER
TAB +ENTER
ENTER
ENTER
ESC

After that you will be able to enter the stereopi by ssh: pi - login, raspberry - password.
Further you can make VNC access.

*Will be better if we have Raspbian image+openCV with default ssh and VNC access for such a case.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

zoldaten wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
У меня та же проблема с Compute Module 3+ . И это похоже на то, что сгорел HDMI порт.
Если использовать SLP image, то программа с Compute Module 3+ в браузере работает как и сами камеры. Raspbian c OpenCV тоже
Как его вслепую настроить, чтобы зайти на raspberry без HDMI ? И можно ли зайти по uart на raspberry ?
В SLP SSH дефолтно включен, в OpenCV - включим, идея хорошая.
Чтобы включить ssh вслепую, лучший способ - создать в /BOOT пустой файл с именем ssh или ssh.txt Обсуждение вопроса есть тут: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=169905
Про HDMI - если шнур подключать после старта StereoPi, выход hdmi может выключаться операционкой. У вас это как происходит?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

zoldaten wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:39 pm
If your HDMI port seems not working (black screen through HDMI) and you want to use Raspbian with OpenCV.
You have to make blind ssh install to enter the raspberry.
After burn the Raspbian image, connect usb-keyboard, ethernet cable to stereopi and boot.
Then press keys on usb-keyboard blind:
CTRL+ALT+t
sudo raspi-config +ENTER
down key 4 time + ENTER
down key + ENTER
TAB +ENTER
ENTER
ENTER
ESC

After that you will be able to enter the stereopi by ssh: pi - login, raspberry - password.
Further you can make VNC access.

*Will be better if we have Raspbian image+openCV with default ssh and VNC access for such a case.
For enabling SSH you can also just add empty file named ssh or ssh.txt to BOOT partition like discussed here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=169905
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

zoldaten

Post by zoldaten »

Realizator wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:29 am
zoldaten wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:23 pm
В SLP SSH дефолтно включен, в OpenCV - включим, идея хорошая.
Чтобы включить ssh вслепую, лучший способ - создать в /BOOT пустой файл с именем ssh или ssh.txt Обсуждение вопроса есть тут: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=169905
Про HDMI - если шнур подключать после старта StereoPi, выход hdmi может выключаться операционкой. У вас это как происходит?
Знаю об этой особенности raspberry. Шнур сразу включен в порт. И какое-то время он выдавал видео. Теперь просто черный экран, при этом нет сообщения "нет сигнала" (для ситуации, когда шнур вообще не подключен). Наверно порт убило статикой.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

zoldaten wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am

Знаю об этой особенности raspberry. Шнур сразу включен в порт. И какое-то время он выдавал видео. Теперь просто черный экран, при этом нет сообщения "нет сигнала" (для ситуации, когда шнур вообще не подключен). Наверно порт убило статикой.
Там стоит защита от статики, но все сценарии конечно не предусмотреть. А с контактами hdmi коннектора всё в порядке? Один юзер сообщал, что у него коннектор отошёл.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator