Connecting stereopi to two displays?

Other hardware discussion
MWaddell

Connecting stereopi to two displays?

Post by MWaddell »

I know it's possible to connect the stereopi to a single screen (and indeed this is a strength), but I want to do a project where I connect a single stereopi (with the two cameras) to two separate screens. More specifically, I want to connect it to two of these https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-006011-We ... 36&sr=8-10

You can see someone connect a single raspberry pi camera to one of them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px2hdZJLC3A&t=1s

My question is if it's possible to connect the stereoscope to two of these things (essentially displays that you connect to via an HDMI connection)? And if so, would I experience some of the issues the stereopi is meant to address (latency, differing delays between trying to sync two cameras before the stereopi came around, etc...).

Would love some guidance!

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Connecting stereopi to two displays?

Post by Realizator »

Usually for the VR applications (like helmets) it is used a couple of screens (for each eye), but with a single HDMI input, like this:
https://imall.com/product/90HZ-VR-LCD-s ... -294047/ru
Or round screen (magic leap?) like this: https://imall.com/product/Wisecoco-Real ... 9225940/ru
You can find more options by googling.
So you just provide a single HDMI output, and hardware splits image on left and right.
As for your mentioned screen - I did not find any solutions for "splitting" image for such a glass-related tiny monitors.
You can look at tilt5 project - they use a couple of a tiny HD projectors for their VR glasses. But, to say the true, I was not able to find some more details on hardware they use.
p.s. If you decide to go this coupled-screen way, please take into account, that RPi can give you 1920x1080 maximum resolution (but not 4K) from the cameras.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

MWaddell

Post by MWaddell »

Thanks, this is actually really helpful. I really just need the board that splits the images into two separate screens - I can figure out how to connect the displays I linked to it fairly easily I would think. I'll keep the forum posted!

AaronD123

Post by AaronD123 »

Using a splitter, isn't the total number of pixels/second across both displays (left eye + right eye) limited to what the Pi can push out of a single port? So a port-maximum of 1920x1080x60Hz means that I can't have a dedicated 1920x1080x60Hz screen for each eye?

It *could* however, be 1920x1080x30Hz for each eye, while the Pi runs at 60Hz, if the graphics driver and the splitter both work that way: odd full-frames to one eye, even full-frames to the other. Or side-by-side, but that guarantees a weird aspect ratio somewhere, either out of the single port, or into each eye.

---

It seems to me that the "standard" solution of using a single output and splitting it, was originally to solve a problem that no longer exists today. Or at the very least, doesn't have to exist *here*. (I'll make a concession for a phone-based VR headset, as it still requires the side-by-side single-screen solution.) But why continue to require that solution with dedicated, purpose-designed hardware? Since the Pi4 and CM4 both have dual HDMI outputs, why not send a camera to each in 2D full screen? (plus possibly an application-specific overlay)

I know it would require a StereoPi v3 to bring out the second port, when the v2 is only a year old, but for someone just entering the 3D video and augmented vision space, it seems SO much more straightforward to just plug the two glasses-mounted retinal-projectors into their two connectors like you do for the cameras, and declare the hardware to be done.