mmal: No data received from sensor

Raspberry Pi cameras (V1, V2, wide angle etc), HDMI capture modules etc.
stereomaton

mmal: No data received from sensor

Post by stereomaton »

One of the v2 camera of the kit I recently got has a strange behavior.
It is detected
# vcgencmd get_camera
supported=2 detected=2
but it seems to stall the raspistill/vid programs.

When used alone, I get this message
# raspistill -o /media/DCIM/test.jpg -t 1
Camera control callback cmd=0x4f525245mmal: No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny one on the camera board
After different tests to narrow down the cause, I see that when I replace the camera itself (same stereopi, same module, same ribbon) by the other one of the kit, all works fine.
I checked the connector between the camera chip and the board module (what seems to be named the sunny connector) and all is fine. Nothing looks bad on the camera board visually.
I wanted to exchange the camera chips between the modules, but the cable is too short for a safe experiment.

Any idea of what I can verify?
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: mmal: No data received from sensor

Post by Realizator »

Hi Stereomaton,
The latest revision of the V2 cameras has a sticky foam between the sensor and green PCB.
For replacement you need to peel-off sensor board slowly in a delicate way. After that you can disconnect this tiny flexible PCB, which contain both sensor and Sunny connector. We did it for upgrading V2 optics to wideangle. You can look at the 3rd and 4rth images in this update:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/virt2real/s ... le-unicorn

Before this try to look inside the ribbon connector on the camera, and try to clear it by blowing. Sometimes a small piece of dust can break normal connection for a 1 line from 15 in a ribbon, and you have no data.

As you might now, for sending a commands to the camera RPi uses I2C interface. It actually uses just 2 lines in a ribbon. That is, system can detect a camera (like in your case), but unable to receive any data, as for data transfer almost all other lines are used.

As I understand, you've tried to use another ribbons with this module, and no luck?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hey Stereomaton, how it is going with your V2 camera issue?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

Sorry for the delay, I was quite unavailable those days. I investigated further and it seems that it comes from the camera chip itself.
The last test I did is pretty clear: on a working setup, when I exchange only the camera chip (black square with short ribbon), I got the reported message, and it works again when I set the original chip back. [don't forget to cut power between changes if you read this and want to try similar test]

I will probably have to buy another camera.
I guess it might have received an electrostatic shock, although I do not see when it could have happened.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras