BEWARE! New Raspberry PI OS version Bullseye may break existing projects

Raspberry Pi cameras (V1, V2, wide angle etc), HDMI capture modules etc.
reds71

BEWARE! New Raspberry PI OS version Bullseye may break existing projects

Post by reds71 »

Hi!
Very new here... And I did not know how to spread the info.

It seems that the brand new version of Rasperry OS named "Bullseye" breaks compatibility with the old Broadcom drivers with potential great impact for the Steropi community, as described here. It may result:
  • No support for stereo capture yet,
  • PiCamera python module disappearance (as well as utils like raspistill),
  • No use of the GPU for image pre-processing pipeline, which may result on performance loss.

Think a warning should be added to the Wiki (maybe I could do it now with my account?)

Cheers

Stéphane

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: BEWARE! New Raspberry PI OS version Bullseye may break existing projects

Post by Realizator »

Hello Stéphane,
Thank you for your notice!
Actually, I have a talk with Gordon Hollingworth from RPF a month ago, and here are some news:
1. RaspiOS Buster now is considered as a candidate to LTS version. LTS means Long Time Support, and expected support range is up to 2026. Since Buster has all functionality we need (GPU core support, MMAL and raspivid/raspistill), we can stay with this version for some time
2. It is tricky, but possible to compile old stack (raspivid/raspistill) for Bullseye. We did this, it works, but this is not the way to go.
3. Bullseye with the new libcamera apps will support stereoscopic mode, but not from the very beginning. Right now we are looking at some specific usecases (like stereoscopic photo/video and computer vision) and try to experiment with available options to work "out of the box".
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

reds71

Post by reds71 »

Thanks you for the feedback! Will you post a Warning in the Wiki?

Regarding the new V4L driver, I hope it will be at the PiCamera functional level (if not the at same performance...). Because before getting a StereoPi, I tried with an USB camera, using the same sensor than the official RPi Camera v2, and I never could get a usable image in OpenCV...

Cheers

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Yes, I'll update the Wiki soon.
As for the libcamera - at least we know it supports hardware h264 encoding :) But MJPEG is not supported yet. While we are waiting for the official stereoscopic support in Bullseye, we try to test all other options we have now.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator