Image Upside-down in SLP2

Raspberry Pi cameras (V1, V2, wide angle etc), HDMI capture modules etc.
thismarty

Image Upside-down in SLP2

Post by thismarty »

Hi.

I've built my Stereopi rig properly and it works fine, displaying a rightside-up image on the 2" TFT screen.

However, when I log into it on my WLAN via the SLP2 software, the image in SLP2 is upside-down. The option to flip the image in SLP2 doesn't help as it flips both the SLP2 and TFT screen images.

Any suggestions? :-)

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Image Upside-down in SLP2

Post by Realizator »

Hi thismarty,
TFT screen is actually mirroring the HDMI screen. We are using fbcp-ili9341 library for this, and this library is extremely "unfriendly" for outside parameters. To change any settings we have to fix the source code and recompile it.

When I need to rotate the screen relative to cameras, I use this simple trick: https://youtu.be/PPkERBPHNAg
You see, we are experimenting with a lot of cameras, and a lot of them have opposite "top" and "bottom" sensor orientations. This is not an issue for the video recording, as we can just use the "flip video" checkbox in the admin panel. But the image on the screen is rotated at the same time, so it's easier to rotate the plate with cameras.

BTW, maybe we'll compile two versions of this library with default and 180-degree rotated image, and do this screen rotation software way.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

thismarty

Post by thismarty »

Hey, Realizator!

Yup, I've done the rotation thing for now too. ;-)

I wasn't sure though if it was recommended to diverge from the construction notes like that as a long-term solution. Good to know it's safe to do so!

As always, thanks!

ch0rtle

Post by ch0rtle »

We just flipped the screen 180 and wired the TFT through the other slot. Seems fine.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

thismarty and ch0rtle thank you for this catch!
I updated the Wiki about the screen assembly with both tips!
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

The rotation thing at https://youtu.be/PPkERBPHNAg didn't worked for me (it changed things around but still didn't fix it).

For reference, my assembly looks like the one shown in Stereopi-v2-camera-kit-13-5.jpg and Stereopi-v2-camera-kit-13-5.jpg of the "StereoPi V2 Camera Kit Guide". Mechanically flipping the tft screen on that as described by ch0rtle seems to have fixed all problems for me. (I may have V and H flips checked too ... I can't verify at the moment)