Camera images are vertically offset (not aligned)

Raspberry Pi cameras (V1, V2, wide angle etc), HDMI capture modules etc.
nexfmillion

Camera images are vertically offset (not aligned)

Post by nexfmillion »

Hello,

I've set up my StereoPi using two Raspberry Pi cameras attached to the acrylic board. I've made sure they are centered properly. However, whenever I take a stereo image, the right frame is vertically offset downward from the left frame.

Here's an image taken from the SLP OS image: https://imgur.com/a/AetuPsW Holding a phone up to the cameras shows just how much vertical offset there is.

This problem also occurs with other cameras - tried both with two wide-angle cameras attached to the other acrylic sheet, and two Pi Pro cameras mounted in a 3d printed case - same exact effect, the right image is offset from the left vertically. Additionally, when using the Pro cameras, the white balance on the right image differs significantly from the left.

The problem also occurs when capturing with raspistill, or using Python + PiCamera or Python + OpenCV for capture. No matter what setup I use, the same effect occurs - right image offset vertically and incorrect white balance.

Please advise?

PS: I'm having problems with the forum login. For others: try using a private browsing window and choosing Remember Me.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Camera images are vertically offset (not aligned)

Post by Realizator »

Hi nexfmillion,
This is the physical alignment issue.
If you are using V2 cameras you shoul know they have a sticky foam under the small sensor part. If you touch the sensor by finger, this foam changes its shape, and cameras are misaligned for a few minutes. After that, they are slowly going back to their original state.
If you are using v1, their sensor part should be gkued to the PCB by the sticky scotch. Please check they are fixed as intended.

Are your cameras boards sits parallel to the acrylic part?

You see, the software part can't affect this issue. You can try to loosen the fastening screws and try to align cameras using the real-time livestream (or HDMI output) for the correct alignment.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator