SLP2 image over-exposure - StereoPi V2

Raspberry Pi cameras (V1, V2, wide angle etc), HDMI capture modules etc.
davidheiserca

SLP2 image over-exposure - StereoPi V2

Post by davidheiserca »

All the outdoor images from my StereoPi V2 are badly washed out.

The ISO, EV, and Exposure settings in SLP2 don't have much affect.

It's a show-stopper.

Indoor shots look fine.

Maybe the cameras don't have enough time to meter the light before making the exposure.

Is there a fix?

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: SLP2 image over-exposure - StereoPi V2

Post by Realizator »

Hi davidheiserca,
I can't quickly catch the potential issue there. Could you please share one of your photos and your settings?
You can do this right here on the forum, or write me an email to [mynickname]@gmail.com
To share your settings, you can attach the file 'stereopi.conf" from your /boot partition of the micro SD card. Unlike the 'cosmostreamer.conf' with system settings, 'stereopi.conf' contains only photo/video related settings.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Dave, as we discussed by email, the "Metering mode" option is fixed now in the latest SLP update.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

peterfiabigron

Post by peterfiabigron »

Hi,

Is there any solution to this topic's problem? I have the same problem. It is present with every version of SLP2 when I take outdoor stills. I use HQ cameras. Through viewfinder it is ok, If I change settings (exposure, ISO...) it has effect on viewfinder's preview, but when I shoot the photo the result is a totally washed out picture. Do you have already the solution?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi peterfiabigron,

Are you using SLP2? Please share an example of the issue; I'll try to reproduce it and find the solution.

The last fix was done a lot of time ago, and as a result, Raspberry Pi Foundation made some fixes in their firmware to eliminate this. We may have a new issue here.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

peterfiabigron

Post by peterfiabigron »

Dear Realizator,

I think the problem is caused by the fact that metering is done in video mode and when you take a still photo metering is "canceled" and re-done, but in case of sunny outdoor photos the 500ms delay is not enough for the correct metering, therefore in that case the image is overexposed. I copied below my latest post on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1361
I also copy the content of the post here:

"Hi,

I had the very annoing problem of overexposed images in daylight when I captured outdoor stills. The settigns (Exposure ISO...) did not change anything, only with changing EV I could do some minor correction.
I checked the internet for solution and I run into something that gives a kind of solution (for me only temporary): https://www.imakewebsites.ca/posts/2015 ... -exposure/
So when I change the stills delay from 500ms to 2000ms all the photos are perfectly well exposed.
My thinking is that this 2 seconds delay is far from optimal and maybe StereoPi would benefit from a possibility to change from "video capturing mode" to "stills mode" and when you are already in the adequate mode than you can trigger stills/videos anytime you want. In that way the measuring, metering could be done continuosly (or beforehand the capturing) and you can have stills with minimal delay and good exposure. What do you think, something like that could work?"