Using StereoPi Lite with RPi 4B

StereoPi hardware discussion
guido167

Using StereoPi Lite with RPi 4B

Post by guido167 »

Hi all,

Completely new to the Raspberry Pi, but ordered the StereoPi Lite to be able to use stereo camera on Raspberry Pi 4B. Now I want to connect it, but see that you actually need the compute module. Is it also possible to use it with the Raspberry Pi itself? How do I set this up?

Thank you!

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Using StereoPi Lite with RPi 4B

Post by Realizator »

Hi Guido167,
Actually StereoPi has a Raspberry Pi Compute Module as a heart. You can connect StereoPi to your RPi4, for example, by network. But for work you need a Compute Module installed in the StereoPi.
You can look at our short video video guides for the first steps with the StereoPi here:
https://wiki.stereopi.com/index.php?tit ... _tutorials
They might help you to understand next steps for your experiments.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

jo96

Post by jo96 »

hi,
i have a pretty similar question. i would like to use a RaspberryPi 4 to control motors and sensors but i also want a stereo vision. So is it possible to use the stereoPi and connect it to the pi4 to send the stereo data?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

jo96 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:00 pm
hi,
i have a pretty similar question. i would like to use a RaspberryPi 4 to control motors and sensors but i also want a stereo vision. So is it possible to use the stereoPi and connect it to the pi4 to send the stereo data?
Some time ago we've posted an article about connecting the StereoPi over micro USB in ethernet mode. And in this post user Blinky occasionally tested right the thing you need - connecting the StereoPi to the RPi4 using this method. You can do it right this way, or use Ethernet cable for this.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

jo96

Post by jo96 »

Realizator wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:12 pm
jo96 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:00 pm
hi,
Some time ago we've posted an article about connecting the StereoPi over micro USB in ethernet mode. And in this post user Blinky occasionally tested right the thing you need - connecting the StereoPi to the RPi4 using this method. You can do it right this way, or use Ethernet cable for this.
Great, thank you!

Louise Morris

Post by Louise Morris »

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring this conversation back to life.

I'd like to do a similar thing... Connecting the StereoPi to a raspberry pi 4 to stream stero Videos on YouTube. Is this possible with the pi 4 using the micro usb in ethernet mode to connect the StereoPi?

I'd like to do this because you cannot buy the raspberry pi CMR in the UK for the next 7 months!

Many thanks,

Louise

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Louise, the short answer is no - it's impossible to use RPi4 instead of CM4. You can consider CM4 as a regular RPi4 with all connectors removed, reduced PCB, and a lot of special connectors exposed. So RPi4 is physically incompatible with the CM4 and can not be installed instead.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator