Dumb question...

StereoPi hardware discussion
CanDry

Dumb question...

Post by CanDry »

I'm prob not as familiar with Rpi as most (am fairly familiar w linux though) so this is likely a dumb question... I power up my StereoPi with the provided sdcard. Virt2Real boots up and one cam only turns on (both are plugged in). I swapped cameras to see if maybe one if broke, but still just one starts.

During a boot I fluked out by pressing keys (I'm not even sure what I pressed though) and interrupted the boot process and then got a login prompt via CTRL+ALT+F2.

Q1. how do I reliably get to a command prompt when booting up from the provided sdcard ?

Q2. how do I get both cams/stereo going?

Q3. can you exit from Virt2Real back to a command prompt?

Thanks!

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Dumb question...

Post by Realizator »

CanDry wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:11 am
I'm prob not as familiar with Rpi as most (am fairly familiar w linux though) so this is likely a dumb question... I power up my StereoPi with the provided sdcard. Virt2Real boots up and one cam only turns on (both are plugged in). I swapped cameras to see if maybe one if broke, but still just one starts.

During a boot I fluked out by pressing keys (I'm not even sure what I pressed though) and interrupted the boot process and then got a login prompt via CTRL+ALT+F2.

Q1. how do I reliably get to a command prompt when booting up from the provided sdcard ?

Q2. how do I get both cams/stereo going?

Q3. can you exit from Virt2Real back to a command prompt?

Thanks!
Hello CanDry,
Raspbian image on your micro SD is a special S.L.P. Raspbian image (StereoPi Livestream Playground). It is intended for livestream experiments, mentioned on our crowdfunding page. It is not intended for work with keyboard, mouse and monitor. Here are some key points for you:

Basic tips:
1. To enable second camera, insert microsd to your computer, go to BOOT partition, open "stereopi.conf" file.
2. Change "video_mode=2D" to "video_mode=3D". (You may also do it later in Administration panel, by changing 2D to 3D in stream settings).
3. Also at this stage you may configure your wifi settings:
- wifi_iface = wlan0
- wifi_ssid=your-access-point-name
- wifi_psk=yourpassword
Please notice, you do not need to do it if you use RJ45 Ethernet connection, as it will be configured automatically by DHCP.
4. To find StereoPi in your network:
- If you have Android phone, install our application and run it. Application will find StereoPi in the network (automatically).
- If you have no Android device, but have Windows 10 or iOS device, type in browser "stereopi.local" - after 10-20 seconds administration panel should appear.
You may also read "How to find StereoPi in your network?" in our Wiki.

Console tips:
0. Before you go, please notice:
- Our image has locked filesystem. Unlocking details is here in our Wiki. You can also do it in Admin panel file manager, by pressing appropriate link at the top of file manager window.
- Our image has 2 Gb Linux partition. If you plan to do apt-get upgrade, you should increase it.
1. You may use web-console (in Admin panel). As a Linux user, you may understand its limitations.
2. You may use SSH console. Login/password is root/root
3. There are "run.sh" and "stop.sh" scripts in /opt/StereoPi. By running "stop.sh" you will stop all our scripts, and in this case HDMI livestream preview will be stopped. So you can use mouse, keyboard and a monitor to work with console in this case.

Just a notice: our OpenCV image (used here with OpenCV, and downloadable here) has no such a tricks. It is a stock Raspbian with pre-installed OpenCV 3, with GUI mode by default.

You can also read my answer to Blinky here on our forum first boot, and apt-get update/apt-get upgrade thread.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

CanDry

Post by CanDry »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Was there a reason the supplied sdcard image has only 1 camera enabled out-of-the-box?? Considering this is a "StereoPi" I'm a bit surprised by this and I can't be the only one puzzled by only one camera working!!

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

CanDry wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:54 pm
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Was there a reason the supplied sdcard image has only 1 camera enabled out-of-the-box?? Considering this is a "StereoPi" I'm a bit surprised by this and I can't be the only one puzzled by only one camera working!!
You see, our image was released before StereoPi available, so many users want to play with it using classic raspberry Pi with a single camera. Also we suggested that most users will access StereoPi by admin panel, where this option is easily available. Now I understand we definitely need to set 3D as a default. Sorry for this trouble. I'll fix defaults in our S.L.P. image.

Were you able to successfully run your StereoPi?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

CanDry

Post by CanDry »

> Were you able to successfully run your StereoPi?

Nope.

I etcher'd your (google drive) opencv image onto a 16GB sdcard and tried to run 1_test and get:

Code: Select all

Failed to enable connections: out of resources.

Which suggests the camera(s) are being used by another process, but nothing else is running.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

CanDry wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:34 pm
> Were you able to successfully run your StereoPi?

Nope.

I etcher'd your (google drive) opencv image onto a 16GB sdcard and tried to run 1_test and get:

Code: Select all

Failed to enable connections: out of resources.

Which suggests the camera(s) are being used by another process, but nothing else is running.
Please try to run in console "raspistill -cs 0" and, after that, "raspistill -cs 1". Can you see a preview in a both cases?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator