StereoPi v2 NOOB: RP eMMC compute module (Non-lite) not recognized in RPiBoot mode

StereoPi hardware discussion
cytan299

StereoPi v2 NOOB: RP eMMC compute module (Non-lite) not recognized in RPiBoot mode

Post by cytan299 »

Hi,
I just received the StereoPi v2 and I'm having a really hard time trying getting my RP eMMC compute module (non-lite) recognized for flashing.

I shorted out the RPIBoost pins on the StereoPiv2 and connected a USB C cable to a PC and a Mac. Neither the PC's device manager or the Mac's System report sees the RP :(

Is there any other pin that I need to short out?

The USB C cable is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VC ... UTF8&psc=1

which I believe should work.

Please help!

Thanks!

cytan

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: StereoPi v2 NOOB: RP eMMC compute module (Non-lite) not recognized in RPiBoot mode

Post by Realizator »

Hi Cytan,
Please insert both jumpers RPIBOOT and USB_CLI.
If you are following the official RPF guide for the eMMC upload, please remember, that installing the usbboot is not enough. You should run rpiboot.exe (Win systems) or rpiboot (Mac/Linus) for each connection of the board for this recognition.
BTW, which OS are you using on your PC?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

cytan299

Re: StereoPi v2 NOOB: RP eMMC compute module (Non-lite) not recognized in RPiBoot mode

Post by cytan299 »

Hi Relizator,
I've shorted out both the RPIBOOT and USB_CLI and still no joy.

I was expecting to see under USB devices the existence of a Broadcom device, but I see nothing in the USB3.0 tree in either the Mac or the PC.

My Mac running Big Sur 11.6 and Win10.

I understand that I will need to run rpiboot to get the disk recognized. But I think it's not going to work unless my computer (Mac or PC) sees the Broadcom device.

Just in case I inserted in the RP incorrectly, here's a photo of it:
IMG_2006.jpeg
IMG_2006.jpeg (292.61 KiB) Viewed 9846 times
And I'm connecting a USB C cable only for this test. Does this test work with a USB C cable only?

cytan

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Cytan,
I'm using Mac too. You are right - for the eMMC upload you need to use the USB C cable only.

Let's check two things:
1. When you connect the USB C cable without the compute module attached, two LEDs on your StereoPi v2 should light up:

no-cm4-noted.jpg
no-cm4-noted.jpg (722.2 KiB) Viewed 9835 times

If you see only one LED (U-PWR near the USB C port), it means the board "feels" the power, but is not turned on. Please check your "switch" jumper is inserted (near the PI_ACT LED).

2. When you connect the USB C with CM4 inserted you should see one more active LED, which is "PWR". This means your board is powered on now and will either boot (if no RPIBOOT and USB_CLI jumpers attached), or go to the "mass-storage" mode for the eMMC upload.
Here is the photo of the board with all LEDs active:

The attachment with-cm4-noted.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
with_cm4_noted.jpg
with_cm4_noted.jpg (783.99 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Hi Realizator

Bingo! I didn't have the jumper connected to the jumper next to the PI_ACT LED. Once I did this, my Mac recognized the BCM2711 in the USB tree.

BTW, is there a Wiki for the StereoPi v2 for setting up etc? I could only find instructions for v1.

Thanks!

cytan

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Cytan,
Wow, I'm glad it works! :-)

All StereoPi v2 info in the Wiki is collected in the top-right corner of the main page.
Here is the direct link to the StereoPi v2 Quick Start Guide page.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

Thanks! I must be getting blind because I didn't see the Quick Start Guide v2 earlier.

cytan