StereoPi v2 Camera Kit how to use only one oscillator for better sync

StereoPi hardware discussion
mr.burns

StereoPi v2 Camera Kit how to use only one oscillator for better sync

Post by mr.burns »

Hi,

I did it - I ordered StereoPi v2 Camera Kit! Yeah :lol:

OK - until shipment arrives I want to use the time to get more familiar with StereoPI.
I want to use StereoPI V2 only for still images. And I want to shoot fast moving objects like motor bikes, cars, fire and flames, breaking waves, etc. So I need high sync of both cameras - this is key to me.

On crowdsupply.com I read an article about synchronisation:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/virt2real/s ... s-and-more

In this article I read something about how to use only one oscillator (see area within orange border):

I looked inside the 'DIY Ninjas' section of the Wiki - but there is no post about how to use only one oscillator.
Is there any progress on this issue? I want to do this with the provided IMX219 cams.

Thanks...

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: StereoPi v2 Camera Kit how to use only one oscillator for better sync

Post by Realizator »

Hi Mr.Burns,
The idea is that each camera has its own oscillator. You have to unsolder one oscillator and solder wires to its soldering points from another camera.
This approach is used for all stereoscopic-based solutions on RPi. We'll add this section to our wiki soon, but you can find the description in the Wiki of our colleagues here.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

mr.burns

Post by mr.burns »

Hi Realizator,

great - thanks - will try that, If I've got my V2

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

Notice that in their case, they also removed what raspberry call the crypto chip, which is not needed for StereoPi (i.e. you can keep this chip)
Also, I would encourage to twist the two wires together (the one that carries the oscillator signal and the one for the ground) to minimize interferences.

Pro tip: my hardware electronic colleagues solder the removed components elsewhere on the board (on exposed ground zones, or with only one pad soldered) so that we do not trash them wildly and find them easily if we want to revert the change.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras