first of all I want to say thank you for this great project! I am stereo hobbyist and looked for such stereo camera for a long time!
Keep going on this great work please!
Basically I am intersted to use StereoPI V2 to built a still image stereo cam which I can use in the fields and later view these images using a side by side stereo viewer similar to this:
Movie I am not so interested for now (may this will change in future).
I am software delveloper and have 3D printer, lasercutter and milling machine at hand, so I want to give StereoPI V2 a chance to built a great cam.
Before buying/pleding V2 I have some questions, may someone can help me with these:
- The V2 kit comes with 2 x IMX219 160 FoV camera. Each is 8MP - right?
Can I shoot stereo still images at this high resolution - means I get images 2 x 8MP side by side (which will result in 16MP image)?
What about even higher resulution lime 12.3 MP using the IMX477 (will result in 24MP image)?
- For still images I need high synchronization of left and right image to shoot also moving targets like people, flames, water, etc.
Are both cameras synched by software or hardware? If hardware is it global shutter?
- I want to add a rotary encoder (or other switches) to change cam settings like, shutter speed, exposure, brightness, white balance, etc.
How can I get there? Should I use 'normal' Raspi OS, libcamera and python or can I also use your SLP as basis and go ahead from it and still use Python?
(for shutterspeed I read an post here (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=951&p=1997&hilit=shutter#p1997) - is it possible now to set the shutterspeed for both cams now?
- Is your SLP a fixed software or can I use and modify it for my needs?
- If I use a button to shoot the images what is the delay from triggering the button to final image?
- If I hold the shoot button can I do image series? E.g. shoot images every half a second as long as I hold the button?
- Mostly I will use the camera outside. What is the recommended battery and power device to drive the V2 kit, CM4 and the 2 cams?
- To preview the stereo image before shooting I saw in one of the videos a split screen on the cam display.
Is it possible to see also the image of left or right cam istead of split screen?
- Since I want to shoot still images I have to set the focus somehow - which cams (supported by StereoPI) do have autofocus?
Or can I use these?: https://www.arducam.com/raspberry-pi-camera/autofocus/
- Can I attach a bigger display? And can I attach a touch screen and use it as interface to change the cam settings?
- Can I attach two displays one for left cam one for right cam?
- If I want to use your SLP can I change camera settings using the GPIOs or do I need an external PC and access the web UI?
- Can I use WLAN to connect my mobile phone to the Web UI?
- I know for stereo images it is necessary to to some image processing after shooting to get rid of lens distortions, not properly aligned cameras, etc. I think it's called image rectification - correct me if I am wrong.
Is this done by the StereoPI module? Or in your software?
- To develop a software for StereoPI V2 (e.g.to access the rotary encoder, switches, etc.) what is a good starting point?
Are there tutorials for developing StereoPI in Python?
- What is the preferred programming language?