How Do I Watch?

StereoPi hardware discussion
thismarty

How Do I Watch?

Post by thismarty »

Hi! I just backed the V2 and can't wait to get started playing with this amazing board! I've been digesting everything on the site and forum in anticipation. One missing bit of information that I can't seem to find though is how you actually view the content you create with the StereoPi. I gather that it creates 3D SBS videos. So, do I need to get an Oculus or other VR headset to view them? And if so, how do I sideload onto those devices?

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: How Do I Watch?

Post by Realizator »

Hi Thismarty,
You have these options:

USING MOBILE PHONE:
- You can use a google-cardboard device to put your phone in it. There are a lot of plastic devices (like the one we used in our DIY helmet experiment)
- You can look at SBS image using the cross-eye technique http://minerbits.com/how-to-view-3D.html
- If you upload the recorded video to YouTube, you can see it in VR mode inside YouTube application

USING DESKTOP COMPUTER:
- If you upload SBS video to YouTube, it recognizes the format and shows it to you on the screen in anaglyph mode.

USING OCULUS:
- You can use side applications like Skybox, which can show SBS in 3D (we mentioned our hack of the Skybox protocol here)
- Using our application (will be published soon)

I hope this helps!

p.s. You can also be interested in these 3 links:
1. https://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/ - the tool to post-process the stereoscopic photos
2. The art of the stereoscopic photo, part 1 on our blog
3. The art of the stereoscopic photo, part 2 - assembly and the real-lite tests
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

thismarty

Post by thismarty »

Fantastic resources!

Just curious, what (non-Facebook) VR headsets would you recommend - such as Steam Vive, etc.?

Thanks, Realizator.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hey thismarty,
I can't recommend any VR device, since this market is exploded now too fast. We try to work with the most available helmets now, i.e. Oculus series. Who knows, maybe in a year or two this market will turn into something like the Android phones market - a huge choice of devices from $50 to $2000. I hope so :)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

thismarty

Post by thismarty »

Finger crossed and ready! ;-)