StereoPi works too slowly

StereoPi hardware discussion
EKHAN

StereoPi works too slowly

Post by EKHAN »

Hi, we have a term project that we need to use StereoPi. Because of the pandemic, we try to connect StereoPi via TeamViewer. One of our TA helped us with the StereoPi connections. In the first picture, you can see the connections of StereoPi. StereoPi is connected to a raspberry pi board via USB cable.

After connections are all made we can see the interface down below.

To check if cameras are working fine we try to compile 1_test.py based on the instructions inside the shared video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wllLrNU ... =emb_title)
Unlike in the video, the process performed in our experiment is stuck as in the photo down below.

We started to suspect that cameras might be not working but after a few tryouts, we manage to acquire some images.
Also as can be seen from the last three images when we try to change the place of the window it leaves a mark on the screen.

We are pretty new to forums and StereoPi so we will be grateful for any help:)

stereomaton

Re: StereoPi works too slowly

Post by stereomaton »

I do not know how TeamViewer gets the image of the screen from the board, but I know that I had problems with VNC on another embedded board years ago. It is far in my memory, but I think that the solution was to ask x11vnc to get the image directly from the framebuffer or something like that, or to refresh whatever the drawing events, or both; something like that.
This is not a big help, but I hope it can place you on a track.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: StereoPi works too slowly

Post by Realizator »

Hello Ekhan,
TeamViewer needs a lot of resources for the video encoding. Also, it does 256-bit encryption for the all video transmitted.
I don't know how TeamViewer is encoding video, but it has only 2 ways - either use GPU encoder or CPU. In both cases it affects greatly on the global system performance, especially when you have a Python code, working with GUI and camera capture. And I see you are using a high resolution on your screen.
To say briefly, TeamViewer is using A LOT of RPi resources, thus you have troubles with that. The better way is to use a remote console (SSH) to run commands, without GUI, and look at the results by checking saved files.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator