StereoPi v2

StereoPi hardware discussion
Realizator
Site Admin

StereoPi v2

Post by Realizator »

Raspberry Pi Foundation announced its Compute Module 4 today. So we can unveil our new board, StereoPi v2.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

kuehfuss

Re: StereoPi v2

Post by kuehfuss »

Dear Realizator,
I´m doing my first experiments with one of your v0.9 modules, a CM 3+ light and different 180° cameras for livestream and robot control. Not to far in progress but looks promising! Thanks for all your effort into the product and community! Now I would need maybe one or two more modules and wondered when the start of the v2 campaign will take place. Won´t wait to long but are interested in the newer v2 and CM 4. May you could give us a very rough timestamp? Like Q2 or Q3 of 2021?
Thanks!

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hello kuehfuss,
If everything goes well, we'll start our campaign within a couple of weeks, and the target shipping time is the mid or end of March.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Well, our StereoPi v2 campaign is live now!
Take a look: https://www.crowdsupply.com/stereopi/stereopi-v2
:-)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

smerrett79

Post by smerrett79 »

Brilliant! Just backed this campaign. Never used stereopi V1 so looking forward to this. I would like to build a stereo microscope with the HQ cameras that can output to a stereo headset (google cardboard, FPV goggles). I see that you make a mount for the HQ cameras but so far I have not ordered one because I would think I need the ability to change the angle of the cameras (rather than keep them parallel) for microscopy. Does this sound right to you? I'm only talking about PCB inspection microscope so it doesn't need mega-zoom but it would be nice to keep the distance from the subject large enough to get a soldering iron in there. If there are similar examples / projects out there, I'd be grateful for a link. Saw your video using the google cardboard and amoled headset, which was inspiring. Best wishes with the campaign and I can't wait to get going with the kit!

xanatos

Post by xanatos »

Hello & Congratulations on getting V2 Live!

I'm having a little bit of trouble finding the board dimensions of the V2. V1 was 40 x 90 mm - were you able to preserve that footprint, and possibly the mounting hole locations???

Thanks very much & best of luck for another hugely successful run!

Dave Xanatos

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Dave,
I'll post STEP files soon, so you can get exact size data!
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

smerrett79 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:18 am
Brilliant! Just backed this campaign. Never used stereopi V1 so looking forward to this. I would like to build a stereo microscope with the HQ cameras that can output to a stereo headset (google cardboard, FPV goggles). I see that you make a mount for the HQ cameras but so far I have not ordered one because I would think I need the ability to change the angle of the cameras (rather than keep them parallel) for microscopy. Does this sound right to you? I'm only talking about PCB inspection microscope so it doesn't need mega-zoom but it would be nice to keep the distance from the subject large enough to get a soldering iron in there. If there are similar examples / projects out there, I'd be grateful for a link. Saw your video using the google cardboard and amoled headset, which was inspiring. Best wishes with the campaign and I can't wait to get going with the kit!
smerrett79, good idea with the stereoscopic microscope!
You are right, for this purpose you need to change the angle between the camera axis. ALso, as C-CS lenses are relatively big (as well as HQ cameras PCB), you can't do a tiny stereo base (like 20mm). So you need to work with 50-60mm. And, as a result, use the lenses with larger focal length (like 16 mm or higher) with optical zoom, to compensate your bigger distance to the object of observation..
Developing the metal housing with the variable stereo base AND variable angle between cameras is a hard task. If everything goes well with our current HQ housing, we'll try to develop the next generation, with all that features.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

xanatos

Post by xanatos »

Realizator wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 pm
Hi Dave,
I'll post STEP files soon, so you can get exact size data!
Thanks, that will be helpful. I need to squeeze these into the same space that the V1 units are in.

Dave

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Dave, we'll post an official update on this later, but you can download 3D STEP model for the StereoPi v2 right now:

StereoPi v2 STEP file

Let me know if this link works for you.

Please note, that our model includes a simplified CM4 model. If you need a detailed CM4 model, you can download it from RPF website:

https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/cm4/CM4-step.zip
https://datasheets.raspberrypi.org/cm4/CM4Lite-step.zip
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

xanatos

Post by xanatos »

Realizator wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:46 pm
Dave, we'll post an official update on this later, but you can download 3D STEP model for the StereoPi v2 right now:
Thanks. Looks like 40x100mm - 10mm wider than V1. This will present me with some challenges to fit these into the existing robot skulls - will need to do some figuring.

Thanks for the info,

Dave

Rigsson

Post by Rigsson »

Looking at the camera kit - would that be 2 HQ cameras or v1/v2 cameras? The description doesn't specify.
Thanks.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Rigsson, Camera Kit includes two 160 degrees FOV cameras, based on IMX219 sensor (like V2 cameras).
I did some changes to the pledges description, hope the Crowd Supply team will publish them today.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

smerrett79

Post by smerrett79 »

Realizator wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:16 pm
smerrett79, good idea with the stereoscopic microscope!
You are right, for this purpose you need to change the angle between the camera axis. ALso, as C-CS lenses are relatively big (as well as HQ cameras PCB), you can't do a tiny stereo base (like 20mm). So you need to work with 50-60mm. And, as a result, use the lenses with larger focal length (like 16 mm or higher) with optical zoom, to compensate your bigger distance to the object of observation..
Developing the metal housing with the variable stereo base AND variable angle between cameras is a hard task. If everything goes well with our current HQ housing, we'll try to develop the next generation, with all that features.
Thanks @Realizator! I am happy to make my own housing so will be mainly asking for more help on the optics. My ideal working distance is 150-250mm from the bottom lenses to the subject PCB. With depth of field pref workable for 2-5mm at higher zooms and possiblity to hand solder 0402 and place 0201 parts on solder paste. Would you be kind enough to link me to some lenses that might be a good starting point for this? I have a Pi4 4GB and a single HQ camera on order to get the single camera optics worked out as best I can before stereopi arrives, to reduce the total project time. When I start being able to play with the HQ cam in microscope mode, I will try to document in this forum's Project area.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi smerrett79,
I'd consider 16mm lenses. We have a chance to play with a few. We found the Raspberry Pi recommended 16mm lens very sensitive to the depth of field. I.e., it would help if you made a precise adjustment to get high sharpness at the distance you need.
There is also one more 16mm lens we tested - here it is. It has a lower depth field so that it can be easier focused on the object.
We'll do our best to help you with the project. I think that other StereoPi users will like the idea of the stereoscopic microscope. After that, we can create and share a guide for this!
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

smerrett79 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:18 am
I would think I need the ability to change the angle of the cameras (rather than keep them parallel) for microscopy. Does this sound right to you?
Just in case, I think of two possible consequences:
1) You will probably need to compensate for the keystone effect (perspective). When the two sensors are not parallel, this effect will slightly push the sides farther in 3D, but more importantly, the elements will be harder to fuse away from the center of the image (by looking at such images, eye strain & fatigue appear faster). With a calibration (and associated image processing), the effect disappears.
2) When the lenses are tilted, the zone of sharp depth of field is tilted too (parallel to the lens). If the depth of field is shallow, the combination might be shallower. Not sure it would be an issue, though.

About the base, I am split because with a minimum base of 50-60mm as realizator highlighted, even at the longer 250mm operating distance you targeted, the depth exaggeration will be huge, but in the other hand, your depth is limited in amplitude, and this might compensate enough to avoid big strain. Intuitively, I would say that is will be okay-ish, but close to the limit. If it is painful, you might want to set the cameras further and zoom either with longer lens, or digital zoom.

Since you plan to test with an HQ camera on RPI4, I would suggest you to test the 3D part too with cha-cha photo (take two photos by moving the camera between the shots) to see if my worries will cause real issues or not in your case.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

kuehfuss

Post by kuehfuss »

Hi Realizator,
perfect. I badged it already. Locking forward to the new StereoPi 2!
Thanks

darkmoon3d

Post by darkmoon3d »

Is cost for StereoPi v2 still anticipated to be $49 per (slim) unit and be available at end of June?
Will schematics be available for v2 as previous versions have been?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

darkmoon3d answers are "yes" and "yes".
We'll try to keep price the same for a few months, but current market issues (like price jumps 20-30 times, as mentioned in our last update) can force us to increase prices at the end of Summer. We'll do our best to keep them at the current level.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereonova

Post by stereonova »

Hi, I'm looking to buy CNC metal housings for HQ cameras and would like to know
the exact baseline - strangely I cannot find this info anywhere! Thanks.
Last edited by stereonova on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.