Outdoor overexposed stills - aka problem with changing from video to stills? (and a possible SOLUTION)

SLP v2 RaspiOS image discussion
peterfiabigron

Outdoor overexposed stills - aka problem with changing from video to stills? (and a possible SOLUTION)

Post by peterfiabigron »

Hi,

I had the very annoing problem of overexposed images in daylight when I captured outdoor stills. The settigns (Exposure ISO...) did not change anything, only with changing EV I could do some minor correction.
I checked the internet for solution and I run into something that gives a kind of solution (for me only temporary): https://www.imakewebsites.ca/posts/2015 ... -exposure/
So when I change the stills delay from 500ms to 2000ms all the photos are perfectly well exposed.
My thinking is that this 2 seconds delay is far from optimal and maybe StereoPi would benefit from a possibility to change from "video capturing mode" to "stills mode" and when you are already in the adequate mode than you can trigger stills/videos anytime you want. In that way the measuring, metering could be done continuosly (or beforehand the capturing) and you can have stills with minimal delay and good exposure. What do you think, something like that could work?