How to connect via WiFi (Resolved! Thx to Realizator)

StereoPi v2 hardware questions
srathinagiri

How to connect via WiFi (Resolved! Thx to Realizator)

Post by srathinagiri »

Hi,

First of all a Big thanks for this StereoPi v2.

I am from India and got my StereoPi v2 Camera Kit yesterday!

I have never used Raspberry Pi before. This is the first time I am using the same. FYI, I am an accountant interested in Stereo 3D.

I have assembled the unit as specified in the guide. (Thanks for such a detailed guide).
I can see /boot in my windows system. I have changed the wifi SSID and password in cosmostreamer.conf file using

Disabled wi-fi access point interface as I am using a Wi-Fi router.

# Wi-Fi access point interface
# disabled if empty, int - Internal Wi-Fi, ext - External USB Wi-Fi
ap_iface=

# Wi-Fi access point SSID
ap_ssid="cosmostreamer"

# Wi-Fi access point password
ap_psk="1234512345"

And entered the following:

# Wi-Fi network interface
# disabled if empty, int - Internal Wi-Fi, ext - External USB Wi-Fi
wifi_iface=int

# Wi-Fi network SSID
wifi_ssid=" " // here I entered my SSID and Password

# Wi-Fi network password
wifi_psk=" "

Now, please guide me to connect to the cameras/SLP2? Should I reboot?

I have unplugged and reconnected. Nothing happens. I can not see the device listed in the active clients of the wifi-router.

When in RPIBoot mode, Bluetooth and WiFi lights are on. If I remove power and add again, these light are off.
Last edited by srathinagiri on Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: How to connect via WiFi

Post by Realizator »

Hi srathinagiri,
If you've entered all WiFi credentials (name and a password) right, StereoPi should connect to your router.
The connection was successful since you can see it as an active client on your router.
Now you can access the administration panel. You can do it two ways:
1. type "stereopi.local" address in your browser. This should work on Windows 10
2. type the IP address of the StereoPi in the browser. You mentioned you could see StereoPi in the list of active clients - this means you can see the IP address.

I hope this helps!
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

Thank you for your quick reply.
The connection was successful since you can see it as an active client on your router.
No! As I mentioned in the previous post, I can not see the device connected in the active client list.

Also, when I connect Ethernet cable, that is also not recognised.

I have tried to connect using MicroHDMI to a monitor. No signal is coming out.

If I have removed the RPIBOOT and USBBOOT Jumpers and connected thru eMMC, HDMI is working and I can see the camera output in the monitor and that too for 10 seconds. After that it becomes still.

During RPIBOOT is enabled in Windows and after Ejecting the USB Drive, all the lights (BT, Wifi and ACT_LED) are ON (As seen in the pic).
IMG_20211203_115907.jpg
IMG_20211203_115907.jpg (856.32 KiB) Viewed 21543 times
After Removing the power and again connected, BT, Wifi and ACT_LED are OFF. When inserting the USB Cable, ACT_LED is just blinking once.
IMG_20211203_115934.jpg
IMG_20211203_115934.jpg (843.25 KiB) Viewed 21543 times
I have attached the config files (config.txt and cosmostreamer) also for your kind perusal. I have tried to make it as an access point. That is why it is enabled.

Also, I want to know whether the wireless antenna is compulsory even though the range is very near.
Attachments
Config.zip
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi srathinagiri ,
First, you don't need the RPIBOOT and USB_CLI jumpers installed. PRIBOOT is used for eMMC-equipped CM4, and in your kit you have CM4 without emmc.
USB_CLI is for the very special advanced mode, and you don't need it too.

So please just remove both jumpers.

Your configuration files looks fine to me. With this configuration you should see the "Cosmostreamer" access point from your computer or phone.

As for the antenna - it is needed only when you want to have extended range. Default build-in onboard antenna can provide a few meters range to work fine inside the room.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

Thanks a lot!

Let me try and share my experience!

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

Hi Realizator,

Thanks a lot for your patient guidance even for a newbie like me.

Now both the lights (Bluetooth, WiFi) are on.

But, I could not connect either using cosmostreamer access point or my own wi-fi router (after changing the cosmostreamer.conf file) or wired ethernet also. :(

When the ethernet connector is plugged in the green light is blinking. :idea:

I am not seeing StereoPi in the active client list of the router.

When I connect with Micro HDMI cable to a monitor, it says No signal. :(

When I try to run rpiboot from Windows, it says "Waiting for BCM2835/6/7/2711..."

What could be the reason? How to go further. Please guide me.

Thank you.
Realizator wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:32 pm
Hi srathinagiri ,
First, you don't need the RPIBOOT and USB_CLI jumpers installed. PRIBOOT is used for eMMC-equipped CM4, and in your kit you have CM4 without emmc.
USB_CLI is for the very special advanced mode, and you don't need it too.

So please just remove both jumpers.

Your configuration files looks fine to me. With this configuration you should see the "Cosmostreamer" access point from your computer or phone.

As for the antenna - it is needed only when you want to have extended range. Default build-in onboard antenna can provide a few meters range to work fine inside the room.

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

This thread seems to have dead-ended but I'm having a somewhat similar problem.

I can connect fine when using an ethernet cable. I have set up a static IP in both the StereoPi2 and my router and can connect using that IP.

However, when I remove the ethernet cable and reboot, I can no longer connect even though the device is only 2 ft from the network wifi point.

I have checked and double checked the wifi login credentials. What else am I missing?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi dnaman,

Possibly you have the frequency band issue since some countries have specific requirements for the WiFi setting.

You can find the country settings in your wifi router, and set the same parameters in the cosmostreamer.conf, so both StereoPi2 and your WiFi equipment works in the same frequency band.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

So, ethernet works in static IP? Let me check.

Also tomorrow I will check wifi country settings and verify.

Thank you @dnaman and @Realizator

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

Realizator, I'm in Canada which, AFAIK, uses the same country settings as the US .... which is the StereoPi2 default isn't it?

In any event, I have solved the immediate problem: On my LAN, I have two wireless access points. I tried the alternative access point and the SP2 happily connects to it. Dunno why it won't connect to the first one, everything else that I use does.

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

Unfortunately until now I can't connect either through Ethernet or WiFi. :(

Wifi Green light is On. When I am connecting my Ethernet cable, orange color light is on. Green color light is blinking. I have made static ip disabled. (For making static ip I need MAC address in my router D-Link DIR-600M. (How to get?))

My country is India. Country code is IN.

Can you please tell me how to do/enable the following?

1. Why cosmostreamer as an Access Point is not working? For that are Country Code and other details important? It is not showing in Android or Wifi laptop.

2. How to find MAC address without connecting the device? So that I will try to connect through static ip. @dnaman how did you connect with static ip?

3. Either through Ethernet or Wi-fi network interface how to make StereoPi to be shown in the client list?

4. When I try to run rpiboot from Windows, it says "Waiting for BCM2835/6/7/2711..."

I don't know what am I missing.

I have enclosed the cosmostreamer.conf (as of now I have enabled for Wi-Fi network interface) Please help me out.
cosmostreamer.zip
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

srathinagiri - To set up static ip on my system, I connected via ethernet. Then checked the router for device status and identified the stereopi. That gave me the mac address. I then used that to set up a static ip in the router.

Still on ethernet, I went to Device-Settings in the Stereopi screen and set the same static ip under wifi (WLAN). Also set up wifi login credentials.

Question for Realizator ... do I also need to setup the same static ip under Device-Settings/Ethernet?

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

In my case, router doesn't show any device as connected. :(

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

srathinagiri, let's try to debug this step by step.

1. Please forget about rpiboot, you don't need it at all with your CM4 Lite and micro SD. Please remove both jumpers USB_CLI and RPI_BOOT and keep them in a safe place.

2. Let's test the Ethernet connection first.
a) Please check that you are connecting your ethernet cable to your router, but not directly to your host PC
b) Please disable all wifi settings, and remove the static IP settings for Ethernet interface (you can use the attached config file for this)
c) When your system boots, you should be able to see the StereoPi in the network.

As an alternative to step b), you can use the fresh SLP2 image without any configuration changes - Ethernet connection should work out of the box.

How to find StereoPi 2 in the network:
- in Win10, type stereopi.local in the Edge browser - you should see the administration page
- use any network IP scanning software
- look at the router's clients information
- use Cosmostreamer Win10 desktop application - it will find the StereoPi in the network and show you the pop-up window
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

dnaman wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 am
Realizator, I'm in Canada which, AFAIK, uses the same country settings as the US .... which is the StereoPi2 default isn't it?

In any event, I have solved the immediate problem: On my LAN, I have two wireless access points. I tried the alternative access point and the SP2 happily connects to it. Dunno why it won't connect to the first one, everything else that I use does.
Yes, US and CA country settings are the same.

As for the router magic - wireless is always a bit "tricky". Maybe you have some specific channelwidth or other minor settings difference, which is causing these issues.
dnaman wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:26 pm
Question for Realizator ... do I also need to setup the same static ip under Device-Settings/Ethernet?
When you set the static IP on the StereoPi, it assigns this IP itself and ignores your router's DHCP settings. If you set it on both sides (router by MAC address and also on the StereoPi) - it's a bit overkill, but if this address is the same this won;t cause any issue.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

... but if it's not setup in the router too, doesn't that mean that if the Stereopi is switched off, the router could allocate that ip to something else causing difficulties when the Stereopi is finally connected?

In any event, my question was specifically about the ethernet setup and whether it should also be set to to static ip - the same one.
(The reason is that when I set up the static ip for wireless and got that working, I lost the ethernet connection).

(How do you quote on this site? ... I can't see how to do it).

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

Realizator wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:21 pm
srathinagiri, let's try to debug this step by step.

1. Please forget about rpiboot, you don't need it at all with your CM4 Lite and micro SD. Please remove both jumpers USB_CLI and RPI_BOOT and keep them in a safe place.

2. Let's test the Ethernet connection first.
a) Please check that you are connecting your ethernet cable to your router, but not directly to your host PC
b) Please disable all wifi settings, and remove the static IP settings for Ethernet interface (you can use the attached config file for this)
c) When your system boots, you should be able to see the StereoPi in the network.

As an alternative to step b), you can use the fresh SLP2 image without any configuration changes - Ethernet connection should work out of the box.

How to find StereoPi 2 in the network:
- in Win10, type stereopi.local in the Edge browser - you should see the administration page
- use any network IP scanning software
- look at the router's clients information
- use Cosmostreamer Win10 desktop application - it will find the StereoPi in the network and show you the pop-up window
Sorry for not answering. I am on a business tour. Once I am back home I will do what you have suggested and revert back. Thank you for your detailed instructions.

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

First of all I thank you @Realizator for giving me support from the beginning.

Still I can't get the things working out.

As suggested by you I have removed both the jumpers USB_CLI and RPI_BOOT.

I have downloaded beta-version-slp2-0.11.19.zip version from your link (which is the latest) and using Win32DiskImager tool installed it in the micro SD.

Without modifying anything in the config file, I have connected the ethernet cable from the router and not directly to my PC.

I can't see the StereoPi in the network. This is where I could not work it out.

I have used an IP Scanning software and I can not see StereoPi.
When I type stereopi.local in Edge, it says, Hmmm… can't reach this page
When I used Cosmostreamer desktop version I got the following screen and it doesn't pick up the StereoPi.

1. I will verify from my home router and revert back whether the same thing happens.
2. Whether we need country code to be setup for Ethernet also?
cosmo.jpg
cosmo.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 20283 times
ipscanner.jpg
ipscanner.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 20283 times
An update:

From the home router also, I don't see StereoPi in the active client table.
dlink1.jpg
dlink1.jpg (93.21 KiB) Viewed 20281 times
Whenever green color light is blinking in StereoPi, the Tx Pkt number is getting increased.
dlink2.jpg
dlink2.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 20281 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi srathinagiri,

For the Ethernet you should not set any other parameters (like the country), it should "just work".

By the way, when you are using the fresh SLP installation and boot the StereoPi, are you able to see the "cosmostreamer" WiFi access point from any of your devices?

Is ACT_LED blinking while the boot process?

Your issue looks unusual to me. Maybe I will do a replacement for you.

Could you please try to do one more thing - please connect the monitor to the micro HDMI output of the StereoPi. This is the last thing I can check remotely.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

srathinagiri

Post by srathinagiri »

Hi,

I have tried to connect thru Micro HDMI and I am getting the following screen.

I hope now you can guide me what to do!
IMG_20220213_180128.jpg
IMG_20220213_180128.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 20189 times