ir filter.. protective film?

StereoPi v2 hardware questions
3DStereoPhoto

ir filter.. protective film?

Post by 3DStereoPhoto »

the extra ir filters look like they have some sort of protective film, but I can't get it off... was able to remove the ir filter from the HQ camera to compare, have attached some pictures-- the filter on right is out of the HQ camera the two on the left are from the stereoPiV2 CNC camera housing kit.

the camera filter reflects perfectly, like a mirror... the other two just look bumpy, as if there is a plastic film on them....

I used some UV cure optical glue to put filters onto the camera housing and that worked really well.

Anyone else have close shots of the ir filter?

thanks!
Attachments
PXL_20211030_184741590.MP.jpg
PXL_20211030_184741590.MP.jpg (7.04 MiB) Viewed 6849 times
PXL_20211030_184758587.jpg
PXL_20211030_184758587.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 6849 times
PXL_20211030_184720506.MP.jpg
PXL_20211030_184720506.MP.jpg (5.03 MiB) Viewed 6849 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: ir filter.. protective film?

Post by Realizator »

Wow... I never saw the CM500 filters in the condition of items that are on the left side of your photo...
We got CM500 filters directly from the HOYA company (Japan), and they are packed in trays (look at the photo).
hoya_cm500_tray_2.jpg
hoya_cm500_tray_2.jpg (181.65 KiB) Viewed 6846 times
I can't remember any films or other items attached. They should look like polished, mirror-like glass.
Also, I'm curious about the strange signs on them (like a square with rounded corners).

Have they arrived in this condition with the kit?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

3DStereoPhoto

Post by 3DStereoPhoto »

yeah the rounded edge was because I had glued them into onto the aluminum carrier plate and later pushed them out-- I had used a uv-cure glue called "blufixx" and it spread more than I thought it would with capillary action(so that made the rounded edge).. but noticed the ir filter looked like it had a film on it prior to gluing it in, just wasn't sure what it was supposed to look like until I took apart the HQ cameras.

So I have 10 filters; 6 from the kit and 4 from HQ cameras, honestly only two are perfect Two other ones from the HQ camera have some spots and all six the the kit look like there is a film on them.

I have a variety of solvents... so I just tried to see if anything worked, acetone, brake cleaner, 91% isopropyl alcohol, wax and grease remover, d-limone and even a Razer blade had no results. (will, it did remove the uv glue)... am really flummoxed about it.

I will see if I can source some of them -- I am in Houston right now for next two weeks...

Lincoln
Attachments
PXL_20211031_173225416.jpg
PXL_20211031_173225416.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 6842 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Wow...
Usually, we are gluing the IR filters by adding just a tiny drop of the glue (see details on our Wiki).
Also, I know other HQ housing owners were able to glue IR filters with no issues.
Since you have 6 IR filters from the kit I guess you have 3 kits, right?
In any case, please write me an email to [mynickname]@gmail.com You see, I have a lot of these IR filters in stock at our US partner's warehouse, and ship more to you for your experiments. Your case is the Real Hardcore DIY, and I'll do my best to provide all you need to figure out this situation!!! :-)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

3DStereoPhoto

Post by 3DStereoPhoto »

awesome. Just sent you a dm!

dnaman

Post by dnaman »

I too noticed what looked like a protective film on my filters. It's my belief though that what we're seeing may be a chemical film picked up from the plastic bags they were packed in .... most likely a release agent (silicone?) used in the manufacture of the bags.

Certainly, my filters were clinging quite strongly to the inside of the bags.

amphi

Post by amphi »

my filters look the same and are completely unusable. My guess is because of the plastic bags. where can i get replacement filters?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi amphi and dnaman,
Looks like the packing bag causing this unexpected issue.
I will be pleased if you can share a few more photos for me to understand the issue.
I will contact my packing partner and ask them to use a paper bag instead of the plastic bags.
Right now I have two things to say:
1. Please write me an email with your full postal address and I will send you a replacement. (Dnaman, I’ve already got your email)
2. CM500 filters will be available for purchase soon at PiShop.us
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator