Cameras not affixed to PCB, connector damaged

Cases, camera mount mechanics, 3D printing, laser cut etc.
grk

Cameras not affixed to PCB, connector damaged

Post by grk »

I just assembled my backer kit, and noticed two things.

1) The camera cable connector on the StereoPi board nearest the power connector was broken, in that the retainer on one end of the fixator was damaged. This was not a show stopper, and I was able to insert and clamp the cable adequately.

2) More problematic is that the camera modules (on both of the kit supplied ones) are not attached to the camera PCB - they are just dangling at the end of the short (~5mm) flex cable. This would make stability a slight problem. :-) [None of the several RasPi cameras I have are unattached.]

Other than that, all went well, and the kit displays dual images on the HDMI monitor as expected during the initial power-on.

I would appreciate one of the StereoPi team contacting me about the camera attachment issue.

Thanks,

Blinky

Re: Cameras not affixed to PCB, connector damaged

Post by Blinky »

I am not from StereoPi, but I noticed a white removable piece of tape that would allow you to firmly fix the camera in place once removed. It was at the back of the lens. Instead of firmly planting them, and to allow for future alignment adjustments I used some handy tack to seat the lenses. A partially inserted piece of handy tack is shown in the picture and another is ready for the other lens.

Regards,
Blinky
Attachments
behind_the_lens.jpg
behind_the_lens.jpg (583.3 KiB) Viewed 14884 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

grk wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:53 pm
I just assembled my backer kit, and noticed two things.

1) The camera cable connector on the StereoPi board nearest the power connector was broken, in that the retainer on one end of the fixator was damaged. This was not a show stopper, and I was able to insert and clamp the cable adequately.
grk, could you please send me a photo of this broken connector? If it is a factory defect, we need to discuss replacement.
grk wrote:
2) More problematic is that the camera modules (on both of the kit supplied ones) are not attached to the camera PCB - they are just dangling at the end of the short (~5mm) flex cable. This would make stability a slight problem. :-) [None of the several RasPi cameras I have are unattached.]
As Blinky mentioned, actually your cameras has two-sided sticky tape on them. One part is sticked to the small camera module, and another side has a piece of paper sticked to it. You can remove this piece of paper and stick your camera to PCB.

You see, this unsticked camera has one advantage. You may disconnect camera module from the board. :-) It is important thing for doing hardware-synced pair of V1 cams. After disconnecting camera module from PCB you can solder out quartz from PCB without damaging camera sensor. We will do it in our future experiment (and, as usuak, will do an article about this trick).

grk wrote:
Other than that, all went well, and the kit displays dual images on the HDMI monitor as expected during the initial power-on.

I would appreciate one of the StereoPi team contacting me about the camera attachment issue.

Thanks,
Here I am! :-) You can write me here, or use my personal email realizator [at] gmail [dot] com
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Blinky wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm
I am not from StereoPi, but I noticed a white removable piece of tape that would allow you to firmly fix the camera in place once removed. It was at the back of the lens. Instead of firmly planting them, and to allow for future alignment adjustments I used some handy tack to seat the lenses. A partially inserted piece of handy tack is shown in the picture and another is ready for the other lens.

Regards,
Blinky
Blinky, thank you for your answer and help! :-)
By the way, I mentioned on your photo, that you did not removed safety film from your camera mount plate. I'm just a curious, is this your special approach (and you want to safe glossy surface), or you did not noticed that?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Blinky

Post by Blinky »

Regarding the protective film, I may in the future cut the mount in half and then attach the halves on something to mimic focusing eye movements. It is easier to protect the finish with the film.

Regards,
Blinky.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Blinky wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:31 pm
Regarding the protective film, I may in the future cut the mount in half and then attach the halves on something to mimic focusing eye movements. It is easier to protect the finish with the film.
Thank you for your answer! My curiosity is satisfied! :)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

grk, I did not received any answer from you (about your broken connector), so I wrote you email on address you used during registration.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator