StereoPi Field Report

Share your projects and ideas with the community!
Realizator
Site Admin

StereoPi Field Report

Post by Realizator »

StereoPi and Crowd Supply are calling for field reports!

Full article can be found here: https://www.crowdsupply.com/virt2real/s ... eld-report

Even as the final remaining campaign orders prepare to ship, we can already see stereoscopic images and video bubbling up from the StereoPi units that have already been shipped. People are doing interesting things! To help share with the world what StereoPi is being used for, we’re calling for field reports.

Did you capture 3D footage of a unicorn, yeti, or banana slug? Did you design a cool case for your StereoPi? Fly it on a drone where no stereoscopic camera has gone before? How about better software or configurations? Let us know, and we’ll publish your field report as a project update right here on the StereoPi project page. Published Field Reports will also be featured in Crowd Supply’s newsletter.

Field Reports submitted and accepted by the 31st of August will be eligible for our Summer Gifts program: the first ten accepted entries will receive special Raspberry Pi camera kits (with unique features!). In addition, reports accepted by the 30th of September will take part in our September Grand Prix, where we’ll choose three reports to win special extended ‘Deluxe+ Limited Edition’ Kits with some cool goodies!

How To Submit
Send us a 200-word (minimum) description of your project, along with any graphics, schematics, photos or other collateral, via email to [email protected]. Be sure to include “StereoPi field report” in the subject line. Don’t worry too much about the writing and grammar, we have editors.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Re: StereoPi Field Report

Post by stereomaton »

Realizator wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:00 am
the first ten accepted entries
Are they the first received and accepted entries, or do you gather all submits and rank the 10 best at the end of month?
A collateral question would be... should we hurry to submit or should we take the time go craft a nice report?
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

stereomaton wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:56 am
Realizator wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:00 am
the first ten accepted entries
Are they the first received and accepted entries, or do you gather all submits and rank the 10 best at the end of month?
A collateral question would be... should we hurry to submit or should we take the time go craft a nice report?
10 first accepted entries will get Summer Gifts. You need to hurry for this Summer gifts :-)
But after that you can craft and improve your report, as it can take a part in September Grand Prix too. Also you can suggest several reports, if you have several projects done.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

Only one report was published yet. Do you know if there are other reports in the queue?
Well I know that one about the design of the case of the stereomaton is accepted, but I wonder if there will be applications I do not know of. I'd be happy to discover what other people did with this interesting hardware.
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

I just know that some users are in a process of preparing their projects to September GrandPrix. :)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

Nice. I am looking forward to discovering of their creations.

Taki

Post by Taki »

Hi Realizator!

I followed your advise and entered my assembly as a field report. Let's see how it will go...

BTW: Do you have a mechanical drawing of the PCB with holes and distances of them and the various connectors?
Attachments
Field_Report.jpg
Field_Report.jpg (230.82 KiB) Viewed 13847 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Well, looks like I need to add PCB drawings to the Wiki.
At this moment we have 3D drawings in a STEP file here: Step file (3D model of the board)
We've also exported this to several other formats (as mentioned here), but these files has been occasionally deleted in the cloud now. I will upload them again tomorrow.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

It is nice to have a preview of another field report, but it would have been better to open a new post.
Nice proposal by the way.

I also was frustrated to not find this measure on the wiki when I designed my case, so it would indeed be interesting to add it.
The position of the camera connectors relative to these holes can be useful too.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Ok, I've uploaded DWG, STL and OBJ models of the board and putted a link in our Wiki.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Taki

Post by Taki »

Taki wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:22 pm
I followed your advise and entered my assembly as a field report. Let's see how it will go...
My entry was accepted :D

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

Realizator wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:23 am
Ok, I've uploaded DWG, STL and OBJ models of the board
I tried to open the DWG but the only software I know to open this format on my system has an experimental support and crashed.
I used an online converter to get a DXF. The drawings are heavily detailed, but a part of the components are not in the right place and not in the right orientation. Anyway, I do not need it currently.
Taki wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:58 am
My entry was accepted :D
It is a cool one, glad it will be shared.
I will probably get inspiration from your solution for the next design of the stereomaton.

Taki

Post by Taki »

Realizator wrote:
Ok, I've uploaded DWG, STL and OBJ models of the board and putted a link in our Wiki.
I can't open the DWG file and using dwg2dxf returns an unusable file along with quite a few errors... Could you save it as DXF or at least as PDF, so that we can have a look using open source software?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Taki wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:09 pm
Realizator wrote:
I can't open the DWG file and using dwg2dxf returns an unusable file along with quite a few errors... Could you save it as DXF or at least as PDF, so that we can have a look using open source software?
Ok, will try to export the PCB only to DXF, without all other 3D stuff.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator