Stereopi Robot Platform

Share your projects and ideas with the community!
jemartel

Stereopi Robot Platform

Post by jemartel »

Now that I have the stereopi video working on both cameras, I want to add software and hardware to create a Robot. I plan to add a L298N motor controller, an 16channel I2C PWM module, a Pan-n-Tilt servo assy for either the stereopi or an HC-SR04 Ultrasonic sensor. I believe the SD card images "included 8gb with kit" and the "Raspbian SLP" are locked down and are based upon Raspbian Stretch Lite w/o pixel. If I unlock via SLP writeup commands, will I be able to install additional software and updates?

stereomii

Re: Stereopi Robot Platform

Post by stereomii »

jemartel wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:14 am
Now that I have the stereopi video working on both cameras, I want to add software and hardware to create a Robot. I plan to add a L298N motor controller, an 16channel I2C PWM module, a Pan-n-Tilt servo assy for either the stereopi or an HC-SR04 Ultrasonic sensor. I believe the SD card images "included 8gb with kit" and the "Raspbian SLP" are locked down and are based upon Raspbian Stretch Lite w/o pixel. If I unlock via SLP writeup commands, will I be able to install additional software and updates?
/ en /boot partitions are mounted read-only in SLP image. Is this what you mean with "locked down"?

I remounted them as read-write and can make changes. If you want to install additional software it is advisable to enlarge the root partition, it is approximately 2Gb and has little free space. This can be done with a partition editor, f.e. parted or gparted on a standard raspbian or ubuntu system. You can shrink the 3rd partition (FAT32) but this will take a lot of time moving information. Better delete partition 3, resize the second (/) partition and (re)create/format the FAT32 partition. Better use a bigger SD card than the "incuded 8Gb".
There is a big probability that your installed software needs write access to the root partition. If you want to boot with writable partitions you have to change /etc/fstab . (In this case remember to shutdown before switching power off.)
Jan a.k.a. stereomii
StereoPi with Waveshare 160deg cams

jemartel

Post by jemartel »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the "locked down" image was what was indicated in the SLP info. Before doing any actions to the included 8gb SD card, I made a copy first and then I copied that image onto a 32gb SD card. I haven't gone further, I wanted to ensure GPIO pin configuration was clarified so I wouldn't fry anything.
I also am testing other SBC's so my testing time has been limited.
I have also planned to temporarily attached this assembly to a Lewansoul LeArm, that I have attached to a Raspberri Pi controlled Multi Tanked vehicle that also has a PiCamera with video Streaming. This may be Robot vision on the claw that can be manipulated.

BarryKER

Stereopi Robot Platform

Post by BarryKER »

Very nice work

May I put this video on Dailymotion ? I made a group for all NXT robot ? or join us

jemartel

Post by jemartel »

Well, its been awhile since I posted here...I had completed the first Demo Stereopi Robot and have it posted on Hackster.IO with my other projects.

It can be seen here:

https://www.hackster.io/alien-energy-3/ ... cle-e70d69

I still have to revisit again to make some additional refinements

Jim Martel