Camera just finished

Share your projects and ideas with the community!
Rigsson

Camera just finished

Post by Rigsson »

I bought a starter kit as a Christmas present to myself. Work got crazy but I finally found time to finish it :D
Assembled it into an old parallel printer A-B switch case. That left room to add a 5-inch HDMI screen on top and a small cell phone battery booster (supposedly 10,000mah) to power everything. The screen needs to power up first in order to sync so I added the toggles on the front to stagger the timing on power-up. Big kudos to Stereomaton for the photo button script.
I have a couple questions, but I'll post those to the appropriate forum.
Attachments
Front View
Front View
DJI_0093s.jpg (149.58 KiB) Viewed 9481 times
Rear View
Rear View
DJI_0095s.jpg (153.21 KiB) Viewed 9481 times

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Camera just finished

Post by Realizator »

Wow, Rigsson, what a brutal bullet-proof design!
I'm curious, what is the use case for this extra-robust design?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Sharrio

Post by Sharrio »

Honestly, I want to say thank you, everyone on the forum and especially Realizator. I enjoy looking through your projects and even registered to write.
I like the layout of the interface connectors in this "armour". Looks really nice ;)

Rigsson

Post by Rigsson »

Realizator wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm
Wow, Rigsson, what a brutal bullet-proof design!
I'm curious, what is the use case for this extra-robust design?
The design just evolved over the build, so I'll just put down my thoughts and hope it's useful to you & others here.

I'm a cyclist as well as an amateur photographer so I occasionally get out on to some of our local trails on photo expeditions, both hiking and cycling. Because (in some cases) of the rugged terrain here in the Arizona desert, I wanted to cover a couple points in the build.

1) Internal battery - I didn't want to have a cable running to a pocket or other carrier that might snag.
2) Viewscreen or viewfinder - Same reasoning. I didn't want to be juggling the camera in one hand and a phone in the other while trying to line up a shot. Just begging for either one to slip out of my hand and bounce off a rock.
3) Comfortable fit in the hand - again to reduce the chance of an accident.

I looked at some different project boxes but wasn't able to find one that was both large enough for a battery & screen and also fit my grip. I looked at 3d printing a custom case but our local print labs are either closed or have restricted access because of the corona virus. I have a collection of small cases I had set aside for future use and while sorting through them I came across this old manual a/b switch for parallel printers that looked like it might be close to the right size. So I opened it up, pulled out the old rotary switch & DB25 connectors and did a test fit that showed it should work.

Over a couple weekends I drilled mounting holes for the power toggles, the various standoffs for the circuit boards, an opening for the screen, etc. The panel mount USB extensions fit into one of the openings from the DB25 sockets. I also added a Zero4u USB hub because I needed 3 ports instead of the 2 on the pi board. The only issue was routing the cables but that came together eventually.

If it's of interest, the case is roughly 5 1/8 x 7 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches. Call it 130mmx185mmx55mm.

Rigsson

Post by Rigsson »

Sharrio wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:19 am
Honestly, I want to say thank you, everyone on the forum and especially Realizator. I enjoy looking through your projects and even registered to write.
I like the layout of the interface connectors in this "armour". Looks really nice ;)
Thanks! Now that the basic camera is working I'm starting to daydream about ways to dress it up a bit. And looking forward to V2. Gotta get the latest toys. :D