Sources of com.virt2real.stereopi

Other software discussion
stereomaton

Sources of com.virt2real.stereopi

Post by stereomaton »

Are the sources of com.virt2real.stereopi Android app publicly available somewhere?
I would like to make a similar app, but which:
1) displays in 3D on my autostereoscopic screen
2) has a record button to take photographs (and maybe control of some other params in the future)

I will probably do it from scratch (as the simplest way to format image for my screen is shaders) but having the sources of a working app will simplify design a lot.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Sources of com.virt2real.stereopi

Post by Realizator »

Hi Stereomaton,
Well, it's a bit pain situation for us now. To say the true, we were planning to do native Oculus application (like discussed here https://forum.stereopi.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20), but we're with user Wildag are fully stucked with this, as we were not able to found appropriate developer untill now. After finishing Oculus solution we planned to polish our Android application, and after that open it's sources.
But at this moment we can not understand, what is the better option. Should we continue our way, and upgrade our application from proof-of-concept, and open source after that? Or should we just open sources "as is"?.. I don't know.
Sterteomaton, what do you think on this?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

stereomaton

Post by stereomaton »

I understand the dilemma.

Personally, I do not like to release too early, especially in the phases where it does not work or where it changes architecture a lot. However, I try to share in pretty early stages nonetheless (often around the first basically usable version). The rational is based on multiple factors.
One is that when shared, there might be contributors (people that provide help, which is one big advantage of libre/opensource software, although it happened only on one or two of my small personal projects) or alternatives (projects that derives which add new ideas we did not think about or other ways to use it that we do not want to invest in but are beautifully done by others).
Another is that if I stop the project (lack of time, change of interest, other priorities...) but some people are interested in it, they can continue without my contribution.
A third example is that I know that I have hard time to decide when a project is polished enough. With this policy, I can say that it is the better provided the time I could spent on it until now.
Also, I often work on projects with several people and we must frequently share unpolished versions to go forward.
By the way, software are actually often evolving a lot and thus it make sense to build (and share) them incrementally, even with different levels of polishing over time. I know that a part of the software industry tries to sell fixed versions pretending that it is a finished product (but there are only very few domains where it can actually be true) and this creates a false image of purity that man have to go beyond to build better software ecosystems. Sorry, I digressed.

Concerning your Android app, it seems that it is good enough to have been published in binary form, thus it is likely to be ready for a source release as well. If not, it is probably worth to spend the little time to make it clean enough before considering a bigger improvement.
The value of StereoPi is mostly contained in the manufacturing process management and a little in hardware design, thus releasing the sources of a software component (especially a PoC) is not risky and can possibly benefit to the project.

In addition, I'd like to read them.
Even if I would be happy with a private copy, I still think it is a good idea to provide public sources.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

bhammy187

Post by bhammy187 »

Realizator wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:36 pm
Hi Stereomaton,
Well, it's a bit pain situation for us now. To say the true, we were planning to do native Oculus application (like discussed here https://forum.stereopi.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20), but we're with user Wildag are fully stucked with this, as we were not able to found appropriate developer untill now. After finishing Oculus solution we planned to polish our Android application, and after that open it's sources.
But at this moment we can not understand, what is the better option. Should we continue our way, and upgrade our application from proof-of-concept, and open source after that? Or should we just open sources "as is"?.. I don't know.
Sterteomaton, what do you think on this?
It would be really really awesome if you release a 'Native Oculus' application!!! I have the Oculus Quest, and it would be killer to have a Native App to connect to my StereoPi. I know a lot of folks that would really like to see this happen. Good luck, and great job so far.