Anyone have a good reference for Bluetooth LE?

Other software discussion
JustSomeGuyTN

Anyone have a good reference for Bluetooth LE?

Post by JustSomeGuyTN »

I've been looking a bit but I haven't found anything yet that looks like a good best practices example of doing a Bluetooth Low Energy client or server in Python 3. I found one that was pretty good but they were using their own library so alot of the code was buried and hidden.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Anyone have a good reference for Bluetooth LE?

Post by Realizator »

JustSomeGuyTN wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:40 pm
I've been looking a bit but I haven't found anything yet that looks like a good best practices example of doing a Bluetooth Low Energy client or server in Python 3. I found one that was pretty good but they were using their own library so alot of the code was buried and hidden.
I can not help you with pointing to BT library, but just want to say a few words about our BT experience. To say briefly, we don't like it. In most cases we use WiFi. In a very special cases (like RC models, or DJI hacking projects) we use RC remote control, or COFDM wireless transmitters. We were unable to find BT use-case for us. For control (just a set of short commands) we use another technologies. For audio or video livestream we need wider bandwidth and longer range. Just a curious, what do you plan to use BT for?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

JustSomeGuyTN

Post by JustSomeGuyTN »

My idea was basically just short commands from phone to StereoPi. Basically start recording, stop recording, change eink picture. No major data transmission, probably just 1 byte max. Might have a status byte go the other way, from StereoPi to phone. I'm still in the planing stages as I want to wait until I actually have my StereoPi in hand to start coding. I also want to work into the Android app connection to my Fitbit Versa watch. So the ideal situation is Tap app on Versa, Versa sends byte to phone app, phone app then sends byte to StereoPi. That is assuming I can't go straight Versa to StereoPi. If I can do that then I will use WiFi from StereoPi to Phone with a control byte from Versa to StereoPi to choose to live stream.

LichenShare

Post by LichenShare »

i am also interested in using Bluetooth for shutter and similar commands - i will be using my first StereoPi primarily for multiview photography along a motorized rail & i need to send simple command triggers