Port to Oculus Quest

S.L.P. image questions, stereoscopic video livestream and recording, stereoscopic photo capture etc.
stansky

Re: Port to Oculus Quest

Post by stansky »

Hi guys,

I am another new owner of the StereoPi Kit together with a Quest 2.

I am senior SW developer with experience in different fields and good general knowledge and skills for a lot of stuff but I am new to the Pi and the Quest worlds. Currently trying to learn how the things in Unity work.

So, how's the porting effort going on?
Can I help with some debugging/testing/analysis of a SW issue you are currently stuck with?
Are you sure it won't be easier to debug and identify the problem in the already working Go solution?

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Stansky,
Current status:
1. We have a beta version for Oculus Quest, Based on Unity, supports MJPEG only at this moment.
2. We are trying to fix our Go application to run on Quest. We are looking al ALVR solution as an example, as they have a working app for Quest, and under the hood, they are using a similar approach (Mediacodec -> Surface) to deal with the h264
3. After finishing 1 and 2, we are planning to compile Android library to use with Unity as a provider of decoded h264 frames.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

UPD> Stansky, I wrote you an email to the address you used to register on this forum. Please answer :)
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

bhammy187

Post by bhammy187 »

Just checking to see if there is anything to test for the Oculus Quest?
I have a Quest 1 & a Quest 2 if you need another tester.
Thanks.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi bhammy187,
We are doing our best to prepare the first beta-version for the mass-test. As soon as we got it, I'll publish all information here!
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

bhammy187

Post by bhammy187 »

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hello guys,
We are planning to start our Quest beta application in a few days.

Today we are sharing the pre-alpha version for advanced users to test.

Key points:
1. This is a partial port of our Go application, working in not-fullscreen mode. You can set 2D instead of 3D image mode to see not a stereopair, but an image from a single camera.
2. This application is intended for the latency test first. We'll move all under-the-hood h264 decoding parts from this release to our final application. You can live stream the video from StereoPi v1 using the SLP image. You can also use a classic Raspberry Pi with one camera (please set image mode to 2D).
3. How to test:
- Install this app using SideQuest or using adb
- Run the app from "Unknown sources" (in the updated Quest interface it's a drop-down menu in the right top corner in the Apps Library).
- App will automatically find StereoPi in the network, request a video stream, and show it
4. For advanced users: our application is listening to incoming raw h264 stream at 3000 port. So you can send a stream to the Oculus IP address and 3000 port.

For the first test, we recommend using basic settings (1280x720/30FPS/3MBit). If it works fine - try another setting.

Please remember we are having an Android application. If Oculus app is not working, check the Android version first.

Next steps:
In a few days, we are planning to release Beta version (mentioned in our video).
Attachments
app-release.apk.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 251 times
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

rafsallor

Post by rafsallor »

Tested the alpha yesterday.

I´m impressed by the almost zero latency.

My setup is stereopi connected via ethernet to the router and broadcasting to oculus quest 1 over 5ghz Wifi

I can´t wait to check on the new version and finally mount it onboard our research drone

Great job guys!

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Guys, let's test this!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1118
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator