SLP: Root partition too small

S.L.P. image questions, stereoscopic video livestream and recording, stereoscopic photo capture etc.
Taki

SLP: Root partition too small

Post by Taki »

Hi!

I used imagewriter on my opensuse laptop to write SLP to a 32GB card but after the initial reboot, it's only 1,8G big and almost full. The wiki states that it would be 4G big...

Code: Select all

root@stereopi:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       1.8G  1.7G   58M  97% /
devtmpfs        402M     0  402M   0% /dev
tmpfs           407M     0  407M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           407M  336K  406M   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           407M     0  407M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           407M     0  407M   0% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1   44M   23M   22M  52% /boot
/dev/mmcblk0p3   28G  2.1M   28G   1% /media
tmpfs            82M     0   82M   0% /run/user/0
I tried to expand it using gparted on my laptop but I end up in an endless boot loop. Is there any documentation what processes are run automatically while booting? Did anyone else observe this behaviour?

Kind regards,

Taki

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: SLP: Root partition too small

Post by Realizator »

Hi Taki,
Some info for you:
1. Yep, we decreased partition size to smallest available size, so it can be uploaded to 4Gb eMMC. So it is 2 Gb only.
2. FS is read-only by default. Also Advanced users S.L.P. image Wiki might be helpful for you.
3. During the very first boot, system tries to format all free space on micro SD to FAT32, and mount it to use for photo and video saving.
4. This boot logic can be found in this file:
/opt/StereoPi/run.sh
5. There were some bugs found in default logic (discussed here), so I recommend you to install 0.2.2 update suggested in the same thread, this message.

In your case 30 Gb formatting to FAT32 might be the reason of this behavior.

Just a curious, what are you planning to add to S.L.P. image?
May be this discussion of using apt-get update/apt-get upgrade with S.L.P. image can also help you.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Taki

Post by Taki »

Thanks for the fast reply.

1. I do not yet intend to add anything but I tried to update the installed packages and immediately ran out of space... I suggest that you increase the images size by 50 MB and, most importantly, document that...
2. I noticed that when I first tried to modify some config files. Fortunately I'm using Linux since 1995, so I knew what to do.
3.,4. & 5. I did update to 0.2.2 but did not try to resize since then. As soon as I can, I will try it and report.

Cheers!

Taki

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Well, looks like I need to do a detailed Quick Start guide. It's hard to find a balance between brief manual with key points and TL;DR with all features described...
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator