BitRate's and File sizes?

S.L.P. image questions, stereoscopic video livestream and recording, stereoscopic photo capture etc.
JustSomeGuyTN

BitRate's and File sizes?

Post by JustSomeGuyTN »

Anyone know what sort of file size we can look for 1080p 60fps for each camera? I am looking toward using the stereopi to record around 8 hours at good enough quality to be viewed later on a Samsung GearVR.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: BitRate's and File sizes?

Post by Realizator »

JustSomeGuyTN wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 pm
Anyone know what sort of file size we can look for 1080p 60fps for each camera? I am looking toward using the stereopi to record around 8 hours at good enough quality to be viewed later on a Samsung GearVR.
1. Raspberry Pi does not support FullHD at 60 FPS, but near 30 FPS at this resolution
2. For livestream it is better to use ~3 MBit/sec bitrate, but for recording you may use higher bitrates.
Some calculations:
- If you set 5MBit, you have ~625 KBytes per second, or 37,5 Mb per minute, or 2,25 GP per hour, that is 18 Gb for your 8 hours period
- If you set 10 Mbit, you will need twice more space for 8 hours, that is ~36 Gb
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

JustSomeGuyTN

Post by JustSomeGuyTN »

Thanks Realizator, That's alot less space than what I was thinking I would need. I am thinking now I will use around a 64GB thumb drive as those can be had fairly cheaply and I will swap out the drives at the end of each day.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

JustSomeGuyTN wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 pm
Thanks Realizator, That's alot less space than what I was thinking I would need. I am thinking now I will use around a 64GB thumb drive as those can be had fairly cheaply and I will swap out the drives at the end of each day.
Will your StereoPi setup work offline? If you have access to network, you can just stream your video and record it to the cloud or computer hard drive. Or you plan to do some special battery-powered solution without network access?
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

JustSomeGuyTN

Post by JustSomeGuyTN »

Yeah, i am planning on something battery powered that I can have in a vest pocket. Rough idea is a small eink screen in between the two cameras outside the pocket. The stereopi board, battery, and thumb drive in a rectangle case inside the pocket. Sort of like an upside down J. I have already gotten some longer camera ribbon cables so I can mount the electronics at the bottom of the pocket