synchronized Full-Res (12Mpx) Still image with HQcamera

S.L.P. image questions, stereoscopic video livestream and recording, stereoscopic photo capture etc.
lucabu

synchronized Full-Res (12Mpx) Still image with HQcamera

Post by lucabu »

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to acquire 2 images simultaneously, using the maximum resolution (2 x 4056x3040) of the 12mpx HQ Camera V2?

I need to acquire 2 images at the exact same time, I don't care (too much) about the delay between the trigger and the actual capture, I just need the images to be taken at the same moment.

If this is not possible, what could be the minimum time between the two images?

Thanks

stereomaton

Re: synchronized Full-Res (12Mpx) Still image with HQcamera

Post by stereomaton »

According to this tweet https://twitter.com/StereoPi/status/1267397816130981888, realizator (from the team of StereoPi) managed to use two HQ cameras. I do not know his detailed results though.
Stereophotographer and hacker
Despite my quite active participation in the forum, I am not in the StereoPi team
StereoPi (v1) Standard Edition + CM3Lite module + a few cameras

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

Hi Lucabu,
As Stereomaton mentioned, you can capture 2 images at the same time. We have a few similar posts on our forum. The actual difference between the captures at this resolution might be up to a few milliseconds under some conditions, but we were not able to measure it in our experiments (the image of the timer on both images always show the same time).
If you need industrial-grade nanosecond sync, you can do a hardware trick, which requires some soldering. It means unsolder the oscillator at one camera, and solder wires to contact points from another camera oscillator.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

lucabu

Post by lucabu »

Hi Stereomaton and Realizator, those are some very good news! thank you

I've seen a few posts somewhere about sync, but they all used "low" resolution images, so I asked about full resolution capture. I don't need industrial-grade nanoseconds timing, ms timing will be more than enough for my first tests :)

Can you point me to some doc about this (post, test, procedures, other...)?

Everything will be useful :)

Thanks again!