Outdoor Camera Mounting

StereoPi hardware discussion
tracer55

Outdoor Camera Mounting

Post by tracer55 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am

Hello Folks,

While waiting on the board, I wonder if there will also be a ready made case which can be bought for outdoor mounting of the camera or we need to proceed with using broken dome cameras such as:

To build it in. I was thinking on couple of outdoor designs so far, the easiest seems to be a high diameter PVC pipe with arcyclic plastic in 360 degrees around.

I wonder if you guys tested the StereoPI outside for a longer time period (days) on the sun and experienced something like this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=190355

That camera works just fine indoors any time I take it in, but outside in sun its just a big whitescreen, not much help from the community either so I will replace it with Stereopi anyway.

Since this is going to be other part of a project if using dome I was considering having the dome up (face the sky) and having the dome look downwards like regular CCTV cameras. I guess it is not good for it if sun shines directly on it in 35C summer anyway.

Please let me know all your outdoor experiences with the camera.

Thank you.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: Outdoor Camera Mounting

Post by Realizator » Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm

We did not mounted StereoPi outdoor, so can not help you with enclosure advice.
But our Sergey @Gol has indoor-mounted camera looking at the street. It works 24x7, with auto settings, and we have no problems you mentioned in your link to Pi forum. But we use only stock Raspbian and native raspivid/raspistill for that.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator