HyperPixel 4.0

StereoPi hardware discussion
joey_sfb

HyperPixel 4.0

Post by joey_sfb »

Any problem using StereoPi with HyperPixel 4.0

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/san ... perpixel-4

HyperPixel 4.0 uses literally all of the GPIO pins on the Raspberry Pi, including the standard I2C pins (BCM 2 and 3), but have broken out pins BCM 10 and 11 as well as 3V3 power and ground, so that it can use I2C devices at the same time as using your HyperPixel 4.0.

I have no idea whether StereoPi would conflict with HyperPixel 4.0 in term of using the same GPIO pins.

Realizator
Site Admin

Re: HyperPixel 4.0

Post by Realizator »

joey_sfb, in StereoPi we kept all classic Pi GPIOs. Theoretically it should just work, if you will not do some special device tree and reconfigure GPIOs.
I wish to order one HyperPixel 4.0 to do the tests, but they are out of stock now at Pimoroni. Don't you know where can we buy it?
Also I plan to fill up our Wiki for our GPIO layout. We've rotated GPIO head on 180 degree, to save availability of using existing Pi hats.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

joey_sfb, I added StereoPi GPIO pinout info to our Wiki here
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

joey_sfb

Post by joey_sfb »

Thanks for the quick update on the GPIO layout. I bought my HyperPixel 4.0 sometime back will try it as soon as I get my StereoPi setup.

I made the mistake of using the micro USB to power it and was puzzled by the StereoPi behavior.

Suggest to include a note for the future delivery package on using the included USB Type A cable as a power source and announce the availability of wiki and forum.

Thank you.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

joey_sfb wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:51 am
Thanks for the quick update on the GPIO layout. I bought my HyperPixel 4.0 sometime back will try it as soon as I get my StereoPi setup.

I made the mistake of using the micro USB to power it and was puzzled by the StereoPi behavior.

Suggest to include a note for the future delivery package on using the included USB Type A cable as a power source and announce the availability of wiki and forum.

Thank you.
While powering up StereoPi by MicroUSB you just disable USB/Ethernet chip onboard (advanced mode for eMMC upload and usbgadget). That is if you will use white power connector onboard for powering instead of MicroUSB, then USB/LAN works again.
You mention "I made a mistake", and also "will try it as soon as I get my StereoPi setup". Do you mean your StereoPi is broken now, and you ordered one more? Or you just lost some time to manage it out? I'm curious.

As for forum and Wiki - looks like we need to add a brief "Quick start" paper in a box. Now I added links to Wiki and Forum on our website stereopi.com, also announced this at Crowd Supply in a several updates. Thank you for your suggestion!
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

joey_sfb

Post by joey_sfb »

I just received my deluxe set this week. The first thing I did was to set up a pair of cameras and insert the included microSD card into the StereoPi.

Plug in the original Raspberry Pi white power adaptor into StereoPi's micro USB to boot. My screen did show a nice boot animation and the right side camera did work. I swap my left camera to the right to test whether my left camera is working and it's good.

I am not aware of the default behavior of the StereoPi as they're no readily available video to educate me.

I swap my Raspberry Pi 3B+ micro SDCard and it did boot up OK just my wireless keyboard and mouse is not working and now I know why.

I was thinking why would anyone design a non-standard powering method and to flip the standard GPIO pin configuration. My guess is that StereoPi is designed to serve its maker intended purpose whatever that may be.

Realizator
Site Admin

Post by Realizator »

joey_sfb wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:27 am
I was thinking why would anyone design a non-standard powering method and to flip the standard GPIO pin configuration. My guess is that StereoPi is designed to serve its maker intended purpose whatever that may be.
Joey_sfb, I understand your emotions :-) It's like using a VIM editor after Windows Notepad. We just have another approach and usage scenarios. Let me explain why.

- StereoPi was design according to our 9 years experience of building remote-controlled things with real-time video livestream (planes, quadcopters, boats, cars etc). If you will try to put classic Pi on your drone, you will hate MicroUSB power method, and will just solder wires to contact points on the Pi's bottom. Current powering method will save your space, and connector will not drop-put during your fly or ride (depends on your robot). Unreliable connector will crash your drone, and we faced this situation several times. That's why we created a very robust power connection method.

- After that you'll face a problem of lacking USB power, as raspberry Pi's CPU controls USB power. That's why we put power on USB directly to USB pins, without CPU control.

- StereoPi was designed as compact as possible. If you plan to connect Pi hats, there are no space for them, as our RJ45 and USB connectors are too close to GPIO head. To KEEP hats compatibility, we rotated GPIO, and now you can easily connect it.

- There are no Raspberry Pi models, which can give you both Ethernet/USB AND usb-gadget mode. We did it on the StereoPi, that's why our MicroUSB has some special features.

- Joey_sfb, we have an idea to rename current edition of StereoPi to "pro" and create one simpler model, like "Entrance" or "Beginner". It may have power over MicroUSB like classic Raspberry, and will not support advanced MicroUSB-faced features (like eMMC upload). But with this edition you will not have a robot-making freedom like with the Pro version. If such a model will better fits your needs? I just want to know your opinion.
Eugene a.k.a. Realizator

bhammy187

Post by bhammy187 »

The design of the StereoPi is brilliant, and I REALLY appreciate the dedicated power connector. Anyone complaining about the power mechanism has not installed a RPi on a drone. This dedicated power connector is a must have feature, thanks for doing it the right way, not the easy way.

joey_sfb

Post by joey_sfb »

I do understand after the detail explanation above.

I like the idea of a basic model e.g a kit that we can build into an end product for 3D video creation or 360 video capture.

Thanks for the input and the StereoPi project.